National press - Lincolnshire mentioned

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fed up

National press - Lincolnshire mentioned

Post by fed up »

The right of parents to send their children to grammar schools in neighbouring counties is under threat. This issue was raised in The Sunday Times, 25 January 2009, and the Telegraph, 26 January 2009. Lincolnshire is specifically mentioned. Please attach press links on this subject as you see them.
This has nationwide implications and is a serious threat to the remaining grammar schools. Talk to your MP.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 581302.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... tions.html
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Yippee,someone else alive & kicking on the Lincolnshire forum !
Beginning to think I was the only one checking it.
Only caught the tail end of an interview on Look North on this topic-too many hungry noisy small people-wish I'd seen it all.
Going to read the link's you've posted now,
many thanks-Sallyj
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Hmmmmm,think this topic will split the pro-Grammar schools forum 50/50,giving Ed Balls a win anyway !
Those who are lucky enough to live within a Grammar county will perhaps grin smuggly,as those just across the county borders start to panic !
I foresee a lot of for sale signs going up in relevant areas !
fillup

Post by fillup »

It seems a bit unfair for some who live in the next county but in fact the grammar school may be the nearest school. Certainly the case for some in south lincs where our local grammar is very close to the cambridgeshire border.
And I am another one who looks to see ANY activity on the lincs forum !
Are we alone ?? :lol:
Alex

Post by Alex »

There are quite few Lincolnshire Grammars which are close to borders with other counties - I cannot imagine the Rugby decision will go unchallenged as it reverses current rulings about not disadvantaging applicants from across county/borough borders. A few years ago, when the county council admissions policy for community and controlled schools included priority being given to children within a school's designated transport area, one of the Foundation schools (not Grammar) successfully fought an attempt to make them adopt this criterion by citing the fact that children from across the border in Notts would be disadvantaged.

I expect the Lincolnshire section will get a bit busier after 3rd March!
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Totally agree with Alex. Sure we are all waiting here in Linc's for the dreaded alocation day. No doubt this thread will then be red hot with questions.
In the meantime I'm sure we're all watching the outcome elsewhere in the country on the appeals forum,I know I am,it's a mine of information !
Good luck to all xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now