Halp needed on admissions criteria for TWGSB?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

Help needed on admissions criteria for TWGSB?

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

Please could someone advise on the admissions criteria for Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys (TWGSB), as I am confused to whether it has a "distance from the school" policy? Any other admissions tips for TWGSB would be welcomed.
Also am I right in thinking that Judd and Skinners offer places just to the pupils with the top scores (ie they could be out of area/county) irrespective of "distance from the school"..?

Thanks everyone, appreciate your feedback
Villagedad
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hi, as far as Judd/skinnes goes, you are right that they are 'super selective' so only take top scorers. So out of county have to be top scorers. The distance from school rule only applies if lots of boys have the same score. For example four boys for the three final places on the same high score would then be allocated on distance, so they nearest three would get the places.
Not quite sure on TWBG other than they are 'meant' to take anyone who has passed if they have space. Of course if more people apply this year (who really know?!) i suppose it has to be distance. I think you are pretty safe if you are in Tunbridge wells/Tonbridge/Hildenborough/sevenoaks as i know people over the last 5 years from all these places. Where are you?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

tonbridgemum wrote:Hi, as far as Judd/skinnes goes, you are right that they are 'super selective' so only take top scorers. So out of county have to be top scorers. The distance from school rule only applies if lots of boys have the same score. For example four boys for the three final places on the same high score would then be allocated on distance, so they nearest three would get the places.
Not quite sure on TWBG other than they are 'meant' to take anyone who has passed if they have space. Of course if more people apply this year (who really know?!) i suppose it has to be distance. I think you are pretty safe if you are in Tunbridge wells/Tonbridge/Hildenborough/sevenoaks as i know people over the last 5 years from all these places. Where are you?
Thanks Tonbridgemum

We are in Bidborough and hoping to get our 2 DS's into one of the 3 boys grammars. If this is not possible (don't pass etc) which local schools then have the best reputation / pass marks at GCSE & A levels etc..?

Do Judd and Skinners receive many applications for each place, also many from out of county?

Many thanks
Villagedad
shuff

Post by shuff »

Judd and Skinners are always oversubscribed, their cut off scores last year was 411 for Judd and 405 for Skinners, obviously scores dropping after waiting lists and appeals are filled.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

My guess would be that Bennett Memorial in Tunbridge Wells is probably the best of the non-selective schools in West Kent currently. However, successful admission does currently rely on church attendance and more besides.

To see the up to date admissions polices for all these schools you need to check in the secondary schools admissions booklet published by Kent CC. You can find it by going to admission on the education part of the KCC website. However, some schools change their policies from time to time, so at this point in time you would be reading the correct policies for children who were admitted in September 2008.

You then need to e-mail the schools and ask them the likelihood of admission from your address (for those schools where distance is an oversubscription criterion).

Good luck.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

perplexed wrote: To see the up to date admissions polices for all these schools you need to check in the secondary schools admissions booklet published by Kent CC. You can find it by going to admission on the education part of the KCC website. However, some schools change their policies from time to time, so at this point in time you would be reading the correct policies for children who were admitted in September 2008.

You then need to e-mail the schools and ask them the likelihood of admission from your address (for those schools where distance is an oversubscription criterion).

Good luck.
Not wishing to sound pedantic, the current Booklet is for Sept. 2009 Admissions, and as perplexed says the admissions criteria do change from year to year. But it should give a reasonably accurate guide.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes - slip of the hand. Bit like when I wished everyone Happy New Year 1999 this year.

The booklet on the website will be for admission Sept 2009, and presumably poster will need the up to date policies for Sept 2010 or later when they are available.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

shuff wrote:Judd and Skinners are always oversubscribed, their cut off scores last year was 411 for Judd and 405 for Skinners, obviously scores dropping after waiting lists and appeals are filled.
Thanks Shuff

Would anyone happen to know of the people who pass the Kent test, the %age that hit these marks (ie above 405)..?

Many thanks for the advice
Villagedad
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Village dad. If your son passes the 11+ I would consider Bidborough to be a 'good' location! I am sure he would get in and would only need a pass. If he scored highly, again this is is a good area as you are near Skinners and Judd.The non grammar schools are really a matter of whats right for your son and you would have to look round them to get a feel for them .Remember Bennett is mixed but Hayesbrook is just boys so there are other things to consider as well as grades. I presume you are thinking for next year - your son is year 5?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Certainly a few years back you would have had no chance getting into Hayesbrook from Bidborough. Have things changed?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now