Which question types do anagrams fall under?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rosette

Which question types do anagrams fall under?

Post by Rosette »

Hi

Could anyone please let me know which question types you might find anagrams in? Is it just type 10 - word connections?

Thanks
Rosette
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Rosette

Which area/school are you applying for?

Anagrams are not from the nfer stable of 21 types, multiple choice..... the answer sheet would give it away!

However they can ccasionally be found in type M [as identified by IPS ] or type 10 from the Tutors ...ie analogies

eg risen is to [ something something siren]
as post is to [something something spot]

Patricia
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Thanks Patricia for your everso prompt reply!

We are aiming for Tiffin.

I am just reading through various threads and see you offer so much valuable advice.

Is there any proof somewhere that Tiffin is 21 types?! If there were I would have much more faith in helping DS myself (along with fantastic advice from this forum) and ditch the tutor.

Thanks
Rosette
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Rosette

The VR for Tiffins uses the stable of 21 types in Multiple Choice, but as there is only 1 test [the other being NVR] it will only contain 12/13 from the 21 types.

Take a look at the following Bucks thread, its perfectly OK to DIY as long as you use the correct material.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

Patricia
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Thanks Patricia, I have printed off that thread, it is very sensible advice.

But just 2 questions please:

1. how do we know that Tiffin will always use this format - I looked on their website and it doesn't even say that it's multiple choice.

2. Do all the extra question types that can be found in Bond not lend themselves to multi choice format (like you highlight with the anagrams)

Thank you!
Rosette
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Rosette

Tiffins have used the 21 types for some time now. How about ringing up the school [they may be willing to talk] or some more tutors.

Bond cover 50 types in standard form, of which only 17 are applicable to the 21 types, 4 are missing. Without looking I cannot tell you how many will not lend themselves to Multiple Choice. However there are different techniques used when approaching M/C questions.

Patricia
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Thanks Patricia. I appreciate your time.
Rosette
ourmaminhavana

Bond and missing question types

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Patrica, you mention that Bond only covers 17 of the 21 question types. Could you tell me which ones are missing please?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ourmaminhavana

If I had the Bond Book to hand I would happily tell you, unfortunatly its up in the attic together with other unused VR publishers.

I will not be venturing up there until its Xmas decoration time. :wink:

Patricia
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I quite understand, however having now looked at the Tutor technique guide may I at least assume that those headings are the main question areas my son is likely to encounter?