Any Advice please ???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EAGERDAD

Any Advice please ???

Post by EAGERDAD »

My son passed WCGS exam last year with a score of 338 ranked 238 not a gaurenteed place, as we were not sure how he was going to perform with the other entrance exams so we put WCGS as our first prefrence on the LA application form. My son whom i am very proud of has now passed the Wilson test "letter states he scored above 167.0" We put Wilson as our 3rd choice Sutton being second choice. My question really is how this painful saga will unfold, this is our first experience with secondary school applications.

Any advice would greatly appreciated

thanks

A Very Eagerdad
sunnymummy

any advice

Post by sunnymummy »

Hello Eagerdad.

My guess would be that he is quite likely to be awarded a place at Wallington, since it was your first preference. Obviously it all depends on how many boys above him on the list are going to turn down the place at Wallington, having qualified for a place at a school which they had ranked higher than Wallington.

It's possible that not enough of those above him have placed other schools above Wallington, in which case he will remain on the waiting list. In which case, if he passes Sutton's exam (with a high enough ranking - quite likely imho, given his performance in other exams,) he'll get a place at Sutton, with a waiting list place at Wallington.

I think he'll only be given a place at Wilsons if he doesn't come sufficiently high enough to get a place at Wallington or Sutton in the first round.

Obviously, not all the dc which get places at the grammar schools take up those places; many have won places, with scholarships, at private/public schools. There is therefore movement on the waiting lists after the place allocations in March. However, as I understand it, if you are awarded a place at, say, choice no. 2, you stay on the waiting list for no. 1 but not no. 3, 4, etc. Likewise, if you are awarded a place at no. 1 choice, you are not placed on the waiting list for school no. 2, 3, 4, etc.

Anyway, that's only my understanding and I may be v. wrong.

It's pretty awful waiting, isn't it?

congratulations to your ds for doing so well, though.
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

it seams your ds is sitting pretty... I wouldn't be worried
what place would he like?
EAGERDAD

Post by EAGERDAD »

Giulio wrote:it seams your ds is sitting pretty... I wouldn't be worried
what place would he like?
Thanks for replying Giulio

Wilson now -
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

we are in the same situation, passed wilsons, which is third on the list, and now we changed our mind and would like a place there

I wrote to the school and the head replied to me, he thinks it is likely we will get an offer from one of the first two (Graveney and Sutton) but then ds would be at or near the top of the waiting list and should get a place in that way

I understood that I have to put ds on the waiting list in this case

Giulio
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

by the way
why did you change your mind?
in our case is because of friends and I am also hoping that his sister will get in the nearby wallington girls next year
EAGERDAD

Post by EAGERDAD »

One of my cousins son passed wallington and wilsons - wilson being their first choice, so my son decided he would like to go to wilsons as they get on quite well. We were somewaht forced to put WGCS as first choice as we were not sure if he would pass the other exams. As i understand he missed WGCS guarenteed place by 2 marks, so to safeguard our position we chose walllington as our first choice

eagerdad
piers3

Any Advice Please

Post by piers3 »

Eagerdad you have been caught in the Wallington trap. My son also passed Walllington score 333 knowing that this would put us on waiting list or just able to gain a place we place Wallington 4th on our list . If we failed to get a higher preference school it did not affect our position at Wallington.

Wilson have been very concern about this situation and I remember clearly the Head referring to parents calling up for a place because they had placed another school higher.

There were many from Kingston and Kent that passed the Wallington test that will not take the places.
EAGERDAD

Post by EAGERDAD »

Hi Piers

that is very reassuring to hear but as parents you want to do the best for your kids, If only we put Wilsons down as first we would be ok. Would writing to the Head of Admissons be of any use?

eagerdad
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

Giulio wrote:we are in the same situation, passed wilsons, which is third on the list, and now we changed our mind and would like a place there

I wrote to the school and the head replied to me, he thinks it is likely we will get an offer from one of the first two (Graveney and Sutton) but then ds would be at or near the top of the waiting list and should get a place in that way

I understood that I have to put ds on the waiting list in this case

Giulio
don't think so, no material difference a part the fact that they will know your intentions, what I will do and suggest you to do is to call the school and ask to be put on the waiting list when the offer letters are out
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now