KES interviews

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shana Lewis

KES interviews

Post by shana Lewis »

Anyone been along to an interview at KES this week?My ds got called in for an interview on Wednesday with the Chief Master. he seemed quite confident afterwards and was happy and relaxed. Thing is, I'm not sure what to make of all this - is an interview a good/bad sign?Anyone with inside information? :?:
KES Parent

Re: KES interviews

Post by KES Parent »

shana Lewis wrote:Anyone been along to an interview at KES this week?My ds got called in for an interview on Wednesday with the Chief Master. he seemed quite confident afterwards and was happy and relaxed. Thing is, I'm not sure what to make of all this - is an interview a good/bad sign?Anyone with inside information? :?:
It could either be a sign that he is near the top of the merit order and in line for a non-means-tested scholarship, or that he is a borderline candidate and just being checked to make sure he will cope OK in the school. You will probably be able to work out which of those two categories he falls into from his school performance up to now! Historically not many boys have been interviewed, most places being offered straight from the merit order, so I would regard it as a good sign. The school would have told you why they wanted to see him if you had asked.
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Thanks for the reply kes parent.

He is an assisted place candidate as my full time job doesn't cover the fees, I'm afraid! Do you think they interview all 'assisted' candidates (ours would have to be a large bursary) to make sure they are not 'wasting their money', or would just rank from results be enough - thus making it more likely he is borderline?

Thanks
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

shana Lewis wrote:Thanks for the reply kes parent.

He is an assisted place candidate as my full time job doesn't cover the fees, I'm afraid! Do you think they interview all 'assisted' candidates (ours would have to be a large bursary) to make sure they are not 'wasting their money', or would just rank from results be enough - thus making it more likely he is borderline?

Thanks
They may have decided to interview bursary candidates this year for some reason, but as far as I know they haven't done that in the past, just scholarship and borderline candidates. I doubt that a boy who was borderline for a place would get a bursary as the bursary funding would be likely to have all been used up long before they got that far down the merit order. A boy on the borderline might be considered for a full fee place if he was thought able enough to cope in the school, but would be very unlikely to get a bursary I wouldn't have thought. Do you think it is likely he has qualified for a scholarship - they would then top this up as far as necessary with bursary funding.
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Yes,kes parent, it is possible as he is bright, and that's what I'm hoping is the reason for the interview...but I did wonder whether the size of the bursary my ds would need might go against him if another candidate scored a bit less but could afford to pay more. :cry:
fm

Post by fm »

I have it on fairly good authority that they have a lot of bursary money to give away this year.
The head is hoping to interview everyone offered a place this year; I know of one child interviewed on the day of the exam because the child is not currently from Birmingham. I believe he intended that last year but was not logistically possible so only scholarship and borderline were interviewed.
Last year I had a pupil who was called for a borderline interview; he would have needed and was entitled to a bursary but it was made clear to his parents before the interview that he would not be offered a bursary--just a normal place. They were left with the understanding that he would have had to be better placed in the exam to warrant a bursary. Based on this, I would have thought if a bursary was not on the cards they would have been upfront about this to you.
Also the pupil I had two years ago who was offered a non-means tested scholarship was told before interview that it was a scholarship interview.
I don't think for a moment the size of bursary required counts against a child. I think the main criterion is how clever a child appears to be reflected in his performance in the entrance exam.
I have heard the head is keen to widen the social status of pupils attending KES so excluding children on the basis of how little they can afford would have the opposite effect.
Rather than agonising about it, I suggest you ring on Monday and they will happily tell you why he is being interviewed.
Hope this helps.
za1

KES Interview

Post by za1 »

My son has been called for an interview next week also. I presume that they interview everyone....is this not the case? The results are not out for another two weeks.
za1

KES Interview

Post by za1 »

Looking at previous posts, it seems that potential scholarship pupils are invited for interview first and borderline case invited later. So based on this, my sone would be one of the borderline cases. Ah well - will be a good experience for him to face an interview. He's a shy lad so I'm not sure how well he will interview.
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Thanks for the reassuring information fm.
I 've been told the current head has only been in charge for a year or two so perhaps his method of admission is different to previous years where only scholars and borderlines have been interviewed. I did ask and was told he was being interviewed for an assisted place, but I later fretted wondering whether he was a 'border' assisted place. Getting very nuerotic these days!
It's going to be a long two weeks.... :shock:
fm

Post by fm »

New head was in charge last year, too, but the process is not set in stone.

Last year he hoped to interview all children (who had passed) but ended up just doing scholarship, assisted and borderline.

I would not try to second guess the process. No news may not be bad news because last year 2 of my candidates only discovered they had won entry when offers were posted.

Similarly an interview, minus bursary/scholarship, may mean the head is trying to interview everyone this year.

Good luck to everyone, anyway.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now