Interview + exam advice

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
traceywhyte17

Interview + exam advice

Post by traceywhyte17 »

My DS has been invited back for scholarship exams on Tuesday and any advice would be appreciated as to whether english and maths papers are harder for this or will they be similar to entrance exam ones which he has already done yesterday? Also what sort of questions are they likely to ask at interview so I can prepare him a bit :?:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm so pleased for your son - can you take the place even if he doesn't get a scholarship? I can't remember what school you are sitting him for but I assume the scholarship papers will be harder with more problem solving and lateral thinking questions aswell as questions in maths that are for an older age group.
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

I have sent you a pm with school name Tipsy. We will have to do some major financial juggling to take the place if he doesnt get scholarship so am not sure yet what will happen. He is sitting for another indie next Saturday so we still have options but this is his first choice.
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

Congratulations to your son Tracywhite17. My son was also called back for the scholarship papers. There were 28 children called back from a cohort of 300.
He sat papers in Maths and English and found them quite challenging. Maths is his stronge subject but he felt he had done better in the English, because he hasn't covered some of the maths yet. I would be inclined to explain to your son, (without putting the frighteners on him!) that there will be questions that he has not probably come across, but not to panic and just do the best he can.
K
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

Will explain what you suggested as I would rather he was prepared, but obviously dont want to scare him! My son is the same as yours and has a talent for maths but we will see which subject he thinks is better on the day :!: Thanks for your input.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Two thoughts:

If your son has done very well in maths they may want to ask him harder questions to see just how gifted he is or if he has been coached and his level of understanding doesn't go very deep...

or...

they will want to test him in his weaker papers incase he didn't do it justice on the day.
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

I hadnt thought of those points. He has had no tutor just his school maths lessons and his Bond preparation books for these exams. My worry for a child is that if they are just coached for an entrance exam then they will not be able to cope with the work if they get in which will not be good for their future happiness at that school. Obviously some people may differ with my personal opinion but as a parent I only want to do whats best for my son and hopeflly I have :!:
The second point you raise could well be true if the school has perhaps had a good report from his primary(which I dont know as its confidential apparently) about his maths skills and he didnt do as well as they expected him too. If this is the case then I am pleased they have given him another chance to show what he can do.
Thea

Post by Thea »

I have heard the concern many times that 'if they are coached to pass the test they may not cope with the work' but I think the schools are very good at weeding out the ones who will and will not fit in - hence the interviews - this is the schools core business and so they do have good insight into placing only thsoe children who will thrive. We worried about this when our elder son moved to an extremely competitive and high achieving school - he had not been 'coached' but we were worried nonetheless ( especially me, as he was my precious baby :oops: ). However, he has thrived in that environment, and ultimately the school was a better judge than us of his capabilities, as they have many to compare with...
Best Regards,
Thea
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

I think you are probably right Thea and I have explained to him that if he doesnt get through tomorrow then it perhaps just isnt the right school for him. My son is also my precious baby and next 5 years is a long time if we and the school make the wrong choice! Am pleased for you that things worked out well for you and your son
Best wishes
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now