Calling all Redbridge 11+ survivors...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Taye

Calling all Redbridge 11+ survivors...

Post by Taye »

How did you find the tests this year? And is it me or was there rather alot of bravado out there. My DD said the NVR was VERY difficult, and looked crestfallen when she left the test venue. Apart from the fact that the test was really hard, apparently there were lots of children (mainly boys) bragging loudly after test about how easy it was :o.

For those of you who are about to embark on the 11+ journey for the first time, beware of the braggers! (We seem to get alot of them here in Redbridge). Having been through the 11+ procedure in another local borough, as well as private school common entrance tests, I can safely say this year's Redbridge cohort seem to be in a league of their own as far as showing off is concerned.

I'd love to hear from other (level-headed) survivors! :D
Arin

Post by Arin »

Yes, I agree with you about the braggers.

And my son said that some of the questions in the VR test were indeed quite hard.

Especially the "make one word from two words" and "insert three letter word" questions.

Well, we've done our best. Just have to wait and see.

Good luck.
Arin

Post by Arin »

Regarding the NVR test. Well, he did not get time to finish the codes. They gave them the three letter codes. The practice paper, which I am led to believe was last years actual paper, was considerably difficult, apparently.

Getting useful information out of my son is quite infuriatingly difficult.

Elsewhere, the procedure can be criticised.

My son stated that the practice paper marking was not as smooth as it should have been. Initially, the kids were told to mark their paper, then due to lack of time they were instructed to stop marking.

They are very good at further confusing our already confused kids.
Taye

Post by Taye »

Hi Arin. I have to agree with your last comment regarding the whole exam process. My daughter came out of the NVR saying that she too had run out of time on the NVR questions (which seems to be the general consensus with all her peers). I too was quite alarmed about invigilation at the venue, as my daughter left with the impression that she was not allowed to look up at the clock for fear of disqualification, which sounds quite ridiculous to me. I'm sure they hadn't disallowed this specifically, but surely specific reference should have been made to checking the clock, just to clarify. Talk about putting them at ease! Anyway, our children have indeed tried their very best, and I have to say, I take my hat off to them. Close to the time of the exams, I decided to boost my daughter's morale by doing a VR alongside her (allowing a deliberate headstart of course). Shamefully, I came nowhere close to her time although I've always been very good at VR, NVR and maths! Ridiculous though it sounds, this made me realise just how hard these little darlings have worked to get to this level. Well done them!!! Good luck... :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now