Wishing we hadn't considered independant?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

traceywhyte17

Wishing ?

Post by traceywhyte17 »

Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not sure what you mean by 'lattice multiplication' - is it when you have lots of diagonal lines? If so this is not a recommended method in schools as you 'lose' place value.

The school should not expect ONE method of multiplication - they should let the pupil chose the method they are used to.

Hopefully they will see beyond this - give him a big hug and hopefully things will look brighter tomorrow.
traceywhyte17

Re: lattice multiplication

Post by traceywhyte17 »

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm so sorry tracey! :( This is the problem with scholarship papers as they want kids to think laterally. Sometimes they want to look at how a child will tackle a question even if there isn't a right answer. Does he have any other scholarship papers coming up for other schools?
teacher

Lattice mutliplication...Box method, n'est-ce pas?

Post by teacher »

This looks to me like the old box method for multiplying; easy when you know and I've always used this way when working with those chn who couldn't 'get' conventional long multiplication methods. Some children complete the box method faster than the 'old-fashioned' way; others prefer the other way. As always, some methods work for some children where others don't. I suppose they were looking how children dealt with a new method. Try not to fret.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

That is heartbreaking that he has taken it so badly. If it was an extra scholarship interview and exam I am sure he will have got a place at the school, even if he doesn't get a scholarship, so he will cheer up when he gets the letter offering a place. It is kinder really when schools incorporate scholarship questions in with the ordinary entrance papers and follow up with an interview for the highest achievers, rather than having separate scholarship papers. I think Tipsy is right that they are trying to test lateral thinking and thinking outside the box, but very few children can think their best in such a stressful situation. If he has scholarship papers at other schools I would just remind him that they are not trying to catch him out, just to see how he deals with information presented in a unfamiliar way, then he might be able to give of his best despite the stress of the moment.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Don't really know what to say to you Tracey, apart to offer my sympathies.

I know when DD threw her wobbly the other week, for me it wasn't about the school, it was about how she felt. As a consequence of that I felt awful because I felt as if I was pushing her into it.

Your son has done his best and that's all anyone can do.

It will all work out for the best in the end.

Give him a big hug, your family is what matters most.
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

there seem to be lots of examples on this site of times when things felt terrible for various families only to have entirely the opposite feelings a few weeks later when everything works out. This whole business is a rollercoaster - extremely stressful - and as we choose to put our children through it especially anxiety-inducing for the parents!

I am sure that at some point very soon your situation will be resolved and in a year's time your boy will be happy at a very good school and you will continue to be a very proud parents. Just hang on in there for a few weeks longer, support him, and keep faith in a kind of whatever will be, will be mentality.

First choice schools are not always the best ones - no matter how it seems. It's a bit like housebuying - the sale falls through, you're devastated but something better comes along. Reassure your son he's done fantastically so far, one exam is no big deal and you know he will be very happy in the future. It's harder for them to think long term and get some proportion

Wishing you all the best
Thea

Post by Thea »

Tracey - your poor DS - I don't think he is alone. It is a very stressful time - sending you hugs...
Best Regards,
Thea
traceywhyte17

Thanks, thanks and thanks again

Post by traceywhyte17 »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now