primary schools supporting 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mh36

primary schools supporting 11+

Post by mh36 »

Does anyone know which primary schools in cheltenham support the 11+? We're moving there and need to select an appropriate school for our 2 aged 6 and 8yrs. If anyone has any advice or experience that would help us to shortlist we would be very grateful. Thanks
capers123

Re: primary schools supporting 11+

Post by capers123 »

mh36 wrote:Does anyone know which primary schools in cheltenham support the 11+? We're moving there and need to select an appropriate school for our 2 aged 6 and 8yrs. If anyone has any advice or experience that would help us to shortlist we would be very grateful. Thanks
One comment I would make is that many of the primary schools at KS1 are full in central Cheltenham. I recently sat on an appeal where parents were moving to the area and were appealing for 4 schools. Due to the 30-in-a-class rule, the appeals were unsuccessful, and all of the schools already have waiting lists. I think the nearest school with space was about 2 miles from the centre. I felt sorry that we had to turn down the appeal, but there was nothing incorrect or perverse in the admissions procedure.

Depending on your employment and the like, it might be better for you to look outside Cheltenham. It's also worth considering how close to the grammar you want to be.

The schools tend to be quite ambivalent about the 11+. For instance, my DD's school (a village near Stroud) has an intake of 45, and 15 passed the exam. The school does not help with any tutoring and the head dislikes the grammar system.

Finally, just in case, there are some very good secondary schools in the County as well, even ones near the grammars.

It doesn't answer you question as such, as I don't know the Cheltenham schools from personal experience, but I hope it helps.
Capers
mh36

Primary Schools Supporting 11+

Post by mh36 »

It answers it partially - it confirms that I'm not imagining the frowns that I receive in response to my questions about 11+ support!

Also I'm interested in your suggestion that we consider schools on the outskirts of the city. I understand that Pate's Grammar has an outreach programme to suppport some of these schools. If anyone knows of any schools that are included in this program that would be helpful also.

thanks for your response. Early days for us and it's all quite bemusing ... :roll:
mum3

Post by mum3 »

From my experience, most of the state primary schools do not actively 'support' the 11+. However, some are more helpful than others and obviously the private schools will be much more supportive. You will find the most academic schools are probably full. It is a minefield and you are not imagining the disapproving stares!

Balcarras and Bournside, the comprehensives, are very good and many people choose to send their children to these schools over the grammar schools.

Pate's outreach schools tend to be the ones that do not have many children achieving places at Pate's, i.e. the schools in the less affluent areas of the town. I think Holy Trinity, in the Fairview area of the town, is one of the outreach schools.

You could email the Head at Pate's. I am sure he would be helpful.
cheltfather

Post by cheltfather »

Best bet is to coach your own children and/or go private Richard Pate has a very good record
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I think you will find that most primary schools are indeed ambivalent towards the 11+.I don't know of any that run after school clubs for VR like schools I know in Essex.If you are thinking about Pates,it is an extremely popular and fought for school-much harder to get a place than at the Gloucester grammar schools.
The schools supported by the outreach programme do tend to be in the most deprived areas,and who historically have not had pupils gain places at Pates.
Primary schools in the Balcarras catchment are very popular as this school achieves superb results at GCSE.It might be worth contacting the admissions department at GCC and asking which schools have places-or just getting on the phone to them yourself if you have any idea as to which area you would prefer.It is true that a lot of Cheltenham schools are oversubscribed.

Please ask if you need any more advice!

Regards,
Gloucestermum.
Milla

Post by Milla »

as the others have said, my experience is that of zilch interest (almost anti- interest) from state primaries. Our next door neighbour was a pioneering head of a major comp in the 90s, turned it round, dragged it up and said he couldn't conceive of putting his kids through grammars in his position. It can be quite political it seems. My 'DS1' is at Tommies and in his year at anti-interest state primary half the class of 32 got into Pates/Tommies/Denmark Rd. Perhaps a little private tutoring went on ... (it has to, or the DIY version, since many of the privates have extra places drafted in to supply VR help of which there is none at state schools. Despite Pates being seemingly more popular of the 4 who passed in his year, only one took it up (one to Tommies, one to DR and one to Cleeve chosen in preference so do make sure that you are selecting the grammar YOU want, not just the one which seems to make the most noise). Good luck.
mh36

Thanks

Post by mh36 »

.... to everyone that responded. I think we have confirmation of the general status. Unfortunately chosen school can only take 1 of my 2, so not ideal, but hey ho, we'll work something out.

Excellent forum, lots of great advice, thanks. Sure we'll be regular visitors (and increasingly, I hope, contributors) over the coming few years.
cheltfather

Post by cheltfather »

Which year is your child joining at Richard Pates?
gloucsdad

Choosing when you qualify for many

Post by gloucsdad »

There is some interesting tales of 'I turned down Pate's' - a bit like those who claim to have 'turned down oxbridge'.
I know that if my child qualified for a co-ed school, getting the best results in the county, with the strongest sports profile, the most inclusive and high quality arts programme ( I think all of the Gloucs Musician of the Year finalists last year were from Pate's) etc etc. Why turn it down for another school, admittedly another good school, but it rarely happens?

Look at the Glos CC Admissions Forum report - it shows that Tommies and Denmark road allowed 450 students to pass the test between them for about 230 - 40 places and not enough said yes to fill the schools in either of the last two years! Pate's only let 160 qualify and they were full and with a waiting list both years. (The schools always have the same number 'qualify' as they ask the peope who crunch the data to 'pass' a certain amount).

Not really relevant to the primary schools supporting the 11+ thread but having been through this with a fine tooth comb twice (!!! - once successfully and once not so successfully) - I thought I wd put the record straight about the stats!

t
x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now