Public schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

notsgink

Public schools

Post by notsgink »

[split from Anyone heard from Whitgift or Trinity yet??? thread]
It seems to me that the credit crunch has not affected those rich enough to get their precious darlings into a public school! But what are the chances of getting into a good university afterwards with details of the public school on the UCAS form? With Universities so reliant on government funding and adopting a social engineering agenda, public school applicants will find it harder to get offers. So should you worry?
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

I think you are completely wrong. Ten years ago my son could easily afford to pay fees for my grandkid, but not now. I will pay the majority of her fees if we have to, but it will be a huge struggle for me and delay my retirement by 10 years. there are plenty like me.

And it's not just about University - it's about the whole school experience. My job is congenial but i would go out cleaning if I had to in order to keep my beloved granddaughter, my namesake who is so clever and hard-working, away from the alternative comprehensive.
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

huntlie wrote:...i would go out cleaning if I had to in order to keep my beloved granddaughter, my namesake who is so clever and hard-working, away from the alternative comprehensive.
the minimum wage is 5.73 an hour, which works out 12,000 a year, just about the annual fee of an indipendent :wink:
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Giulio

We are not rolling in money and paying school fees will be a bit of a struggle for us, but my DH and I thought this would be the best option for our eldest DS. We have faith in our son that he will be able to have the opportunity to study at whichever University he wishes to apply for, regardless of the social engineering imposed upon Universities by this government.

It is true that we also have the option of GS, but he is able to leave his school a year early (if he is fortunate enough to be offered a palce at the ID of our choice) and have the benefit of learning in an environment where he will be constantly challenged and strive to excel.
Nxx

Post by Nxx »

Hello Mummyto3

I have sent you a PM( I think?)
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi Nxx

Have sent you a PM :D
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

I can't say I have never considered private schools.
With four children, that works out just about the equity in the house, so I suppose I could stretch it and rent a flat after.

I heard before of people making sacrificies. Sometime I wonder if I am a mean father.

I wonder how far people go for this. How far would you go for a private education for your children?

What does "struggle" meand to you?
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

probably not "struggle to pay a private school"
I think struggle is "living on a minimum wage"
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Struggle to us means having less disposable income to juggle other things with. We have 3 children in all, so this is not a decision we have made lightly.

If our DS does not get through to the ID of our choice we have the option of sitting GS exams but the competition is high, though I feel it is a challenge my DS could rise to but we just wanted our DS to start his secondary education now. He gained level 5 in year 4 and has basically been twiddling his thumbs at school since then.
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

It seems odd to me that anyone would send one of their children to private school but not the others.

Surely it is better in the long run to treat all ones children equally.

I have three children - one is at Tiffin two go to the local comp.

They all sat the Tiffin tests.

Two scored the same but one was a girl and so she did not get in.

She is now heading towards better GCSEs at the comp than my son got at Tiffin and he did very well.

Why is it that people run down local comps without ever having stepped accross their threshold?

And BTW the comp gets less state funding per child than Tiffin school, has no voluntary contribution and provides as much music and sport for my children as they feel able to consume.