Results soon....any plans??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dolly19

Results soon....any plans??

Post by Dolly19 »

Well now, not long to go! Didn't it seem like FOREVER back in November when they sat the exam? Still now Christmas is out of the way it's racing round.

I understand from exam sitters in previous years that if you're getting your results via email they sometimes come through VERY late (like 11pm). Has anyone else heard this?

Our daughter was promised she could have a new bike if she passed. However, am now a bit worried that if she doesn't pass and we don't get the bike she'll think we're disappointed. So we've ordered a bike anyway, regardless of the result! (What sort of a mug am I....don't answer that). :wink:

Anyone else got exciting plans or treats in store...??
KM

Post by KM »

We got our daughter's allocation last year at about 2am. We had been told they would be available from midnight but when we tried we couldn't get through. We went back to bed and tried to get back to sleep and then tried again at 2am. One of my friends did manage to get on to the system at 12.15 am however. I don't know whether it is to be recommended though as I couldn't get back to sleep afterwards! On the other hand the system was so busy the next day that lots of people didn't find out till much later on the day. Hopefully it will run more smoothly this year. Best of luck!
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I can confirm exactly what KM has said. My DD and I gave up about 11pm on the day, assuming that we had the wrong user name and that the problem was our end. I woke at 5.30am the next morning and managed to get the results. I then woke DD to pass on the good news. When she finally got up at 7.00am she wanted to see the results for herself. We tried to get back on but didn't succeed. In the end we gave up and waited for the post!
Another worried Mum

Results

Post by Another worried Mum »

I remember only too well how it was this time last year!

I spent lots of time reading info from other contributors to this forum (we should all be told about this when we apply to sit the 11+) and picked up on the fact that the allocation is posted on the ECC website from about midnight. I only worked this out about 11.30pm on the day before results were due, so I stayed up for an extra half an hour to check it out!

Lo and behold, I logged onto the site - using the same details, password etc which I had used to make our online application. The details of the schools applied for were all there, but the one we had been awarded a place now said 'allocated' next to the school name. We didn't wake up DD, but we did call her best friend - got mum & dad out of bed too, so that they could find out the news too!

I understand from others that if you try to log onto the website at a sensible time in the morning (eg from 7am onwards) then it can be really busy and even crash for several hours. We waited for several days to get our results in the post, so logging on was the best thing for us. Also, results to schools were late last year. They usually have the information before it is posted to the website and out in the snail mail, but for some reason last year they didn't receive it first!

I would recommend that if you have applied online, check that you know your username and password, have a little check before results day so that you are sure everything is there and then GO FOR IT just after midnight!! You won't be able to sleep anyway! :lol:

Good luck - and don't have too many sleepless nights between now and March! :D
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Well that's useful info, thanks, it never occured to me you could look on the website, I thought you got an email.

Dolly, of course you should have bought the bike! We have a good comp nearby luckily, but I'm dreading my ds feeling he's failed... as a born and bred Southender I know a few people with permanent chips on the shoulder from 'failing' 11+.

Only a few weeks to go now.
moved

Post by moved »

As far as I know in Southend we do get an email. It is Essex who look on the website.
Another worried Mum

Post by Another worried Mum »

Actually, we did get an e-mail, but it was received very late in the afternoon (I think after about 4.30pm). I know that it was after DD returned home from school - with some classmates who had received their e-mails very early in the morning and others who didn't know at all. I remember it being a bit of a confusing time for some of DDs friends as it took several days for everyone to receive details of their allocations.

I don't know about applications via Southend (sorry) but the Essex allocations are definitely added to the online system. This includes applications for Southend schools though, so hopefully will be of help to some, if the e-mail route doesn't come through quickly enough! :)
moved

Post by moved »

From the Southend Borough Council website

• we will let you know by e-mail at which school your child has been offered a place during the late afternoon of 2nd March 2009, in advance of when you
are notified by post;
• you can accept the offer of a school place on-line.
KB

Post by KB »

It took 2 days for us to get the e-mail re Essex allocation last year - actually arrived after snail mail. I believe there was a delay with e-mails the previous year as well so wouldnt rely on that method!
If you have registered for internet logon you can see the allocation on line from the early hours. It simply shows which school your child has been allocated.
As previous post - it does frequently get overloaded after about 7/8 am and I think one year it took several hours to log on again after this time!
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Just to add to my earlier post, last year we too didn't get the email from Essex until 11.30pm on the Tuesday, ie. 47 1/2 hours late! So apart from being able to log on to the Essex website at an unearthly hour, the first we officially heard was when a letter from my DD's "new" school arrived the day after Offer Day.

Good luck to everyone. We are waiting for No 3's results this year, and of course, I don't feel any more relaxed.

lulu