St catherine's twickenham

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pipers

St catherine's twickenham

Post by pipers »

Hi, am new to this forum. My daughter has been accepted into St. Catherine's Twickenham and we are hopeful that she will get into LEHS as well.
Can parents with children in both schools please give us you feed back on what the two schools are like.
Daughter is a bright, hardworking girl but not overly academic. For that reason I am shying away from LEHS. However St Cath doesn't come across as very professionally run. Any views on that? It is close to home, which is a plus and has a warm feel to it.
I fear that the pressure at LEHS may be too much for my daughter. But my husband feels that we shouldn't underestimate her capabilities... all confusing at the minute.
Many thanks for your responses
Surrey Dad

St. Catherine's

Post by Surrey Dad »

Hi Pipers,

Agree about St. Catherine's and LEHS (academic hothouse!). Great if DD is very bright and can handle the pressure from day one at LEH, if not please ignore. St Caths, an OK school, new Head in place, a Nun, nice lady but not inspirational. No Sixth Form and lacks academic rigour is the feeling I got last year. They will take most girls who apply to build up numbers, understandably, and do well with weakish pupils. A goodish school from this perspective but nothing special.

Have you thought of Notre Dame in Cobham? DD got in last year and is thriving. Head is inspirational and down to earth, exam results excellent and Sixth Form getting girls into Cambridge, London and Oxford - never used to apparently. Happy school but challenging, great Music and Drama and lots of opportunities for visits world wide because of the Company of Mary link (oldest educational establishment for girls in the world).

DD comes home with a smile on her face - what price that!
grheliz

Post by grheliz »

St Catherine's is planning to reopen its Sixth Form and a rather stunning-looking new centre is planned for them.

I went to the school as a girl and had a mainly OK time. I was quite impressed when I went back a few weeks ago. I liked the head: I thought she had charm and personality and a nice sense of humour.
ingunn

st catherine's twickenham

Post by ingunn »

My neighbour's daughter was offered a place at Surbiton High and at St Catherine's last year. She decided for St Catherine's to escape her bullies from primary, who went to Surbiton.
I can tell you she has changed a lot. She left her school in Kew as a beaten child, lonely and insecure. A couple of months in Twickenham and she has blossomed, she has changed her body posture and looks so much confident and happy. The school is small and has a warm atmosphere, the girls there are so normal if compared with the friends of another neighbour whose DD goes to StPaul's.
From the academic point of view, I know that this girl is working well and got merits and distinctions.
It's such a change, after the many years she spent in the oldest independent primary of the area being so unhappy and neglected. I know that the headteacher is very caring and dedicated. She spent years in South America in deprived areas!
Because of her experience, St Catherine's was one of the choices of my own daughter this year. She would prefer Harrodian because it's mixed, but St Catherine is definitely her second choice.
pipers

Post by pipers »

Thanks a lot, for all your replies. This forum is a lifeline for parents going through this difficult decision making process.
I think I've made up my mind, and St. Catherine's it is going to be.