Heads, teachers and the way they speak.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

constantia

Heads, teachers and the way they speak.

Post by constantia »

I know that this is probably not pc but not having lived in the UK for many years I am not sure what is and isn't pc. I was wondering if it is acceptable these days for teachers to speak badly? I am not talking about regional accents but poor english. Where my children are at school both the head and deputy head do not speak particularly well. I've noticed that many of the non British parents comment on this openly but it's a bit of an awkward issue for the many British parents. Am I out of touch?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My English is pretty poor (dyslexia) so I rely on OH for this. If he reads a prospectus which is not grammatically correct he won't even look at the school! :lol: Regardless of how much you are paying, correct speech is vitally important. Unfortunately you can't criticise the Head so if it is really an issue for you then you may have to move schools. I'm assuming parents from overseas have sent their children to English schools to improve their English along with the education. I would be very frustrated in that instance.
constantia

Post by constantia »

All communication that comes from the school seems fine but then there is spell check and admin. staff to take care of that side of things! It's the way they speak more than anything, dropping t's etc. One of them says 'aw - white' instead of 'alright' for example. Is that accent or poor english? The majority of the staff speak well which makes it even more strange for the parents that the head and deputy do not. How can I put it without sounding like a complete snob?! I can't so I won't try to, neither of them sound particularly well educated!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Constantia, this can be down to regional dialect.

DS had a problem with speech, so he was referred to local NHS speech therapist.
As the weeks progressed, I was horrified to learn that she was not going to cover letter sounds 't', 'r' and 3 other letter sounds, which I forget.
The explanation given by the fully qualified NHS speech therapist, was that within the local dialect these sounds were not heard, and therefore not taught within this area.

I of course, at the time, took every opportunity to instill in DS that there is a 't' sound in words such as ...water!!!
chad

Post by chad »

As a native 'Cockney' myself I do appreciate the problem with regional dialects. I moved to Cornwall when I was 6...and was forever being told that I wasn't saying the words correctly when I was reading aloud.
It is unfortunate that a 'London' accent is seen as not being 'educated' but that is the way it is.
I, too, try to install in my son that if there is a 't' in a word then you should say it.
My comment to him not an hour ago......

'That would be.... li'le with two t's then.' :roll:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't think there is any excuse for dropping letters. I grew up in a rough area in Scotland and was told to speak properly. Can't do anything about the accent though! :wink: I live in London and lots of people manage not to drop their letters.
constantia

Post by constantia »

Thanks for the replies, very interesting but I have to admit I am almost speechless by what you have told me. When I was at school in England in the 60's you wouldn't have dreamed of dropping a t or not annunciating properly, It simply didn't happen! Not allowed! How things change!
mad?

Post by mad? »

constantia yes, things have changed! Now our 'leading' MPs from both parties drop their Ts and I guess it is all a question of degree..
mad?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Whether its right or wrong, many people still judge on first impressions and speaking properly is important.
teacher

Post by teacher »

Speechless............
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now