London Girls' Day Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
joan

London Girls' Day Schools

Post by joan »

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone have any info on the general atmosphere of City of London Girls' School, Godolphin and Latymer and St Paul's Girls' School? It is so difficult to discern especially as I am not from England and don't have many friends with girls in these schools (read--I don't know ANYBODY).

My daughter is a serious student but I want her to enjoy herself as well as get a good education.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks
franklyzapped

Post by franklyzapped »

My DD recently left Godolphin + Latymer. Although she wasn't an academic giant she was very happy there, got good results and got into the Russell Group Uni of her choice.
There were some scarily brainy girls there, although they were not treated as special, also some strong-minded young ladies (as there probably are at any school), but she found her level and wasn't bothered by other groups. There is absolutely no ranking at all (although most girls have an idea of where they fall) and the discipline is lightly applied but effective - there is a real, and clearly expressed, expectation that the girls will be decent to each other.
I know of a couple of girls who left St Paul's for G+L and found it much less competitive, although to get on at any academic school a child would need to be quite quick-witted.
If I have any reservation about G+L it is that I think they could push the girls a little harder to involve themselves in extra-curricular activities, they can get away with just hanging round the classroom every lunchtime for seven years. It could be this happens at other schools.
There is a new head now. I don't know anything about her. The previous one was outstanding.
I don't know anything about City of London Girls'.
joan

Post by joan »

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Joan
another mother

Post by another mother »

Joan I've pm'd you