harrodian: any information needed

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ingunn

Post by ingunn »

Any parents out there has information on this school? Both negative and positive comments welcome.
Would it be suitable for my daughter? Trying to make a decision.
Thx
resmum

Post by resmum »

All I know about this school is that it has produced 2 young actors of note - Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the leading male role in Twilight) and also the boy who played the youngest Bielski brother in the recent movie Defiance. If you look on the IMDB database you may find some comments from Robert Pattinson about the school. He seemed to enjoy his time there but wasn't a high flier academically.

The Harrodian was also mentioned in a distressing documentary about child *** abuse at Caldicott prep school. The victims are now grown men in their 50's but waited until their parents had passed away before they went to the police. Apparently one of the teachers responsible was asked to leave Caldicott at the time but had no trouble finding subsequent employment and when the law finally caught up with him he had been employed as a teacher at the Harrodian for a number of years. From what I remember of the documentary the school didn't seem to want to comment. Sadly some private schools don't seem to take child protection as seriously as they should.

Apologies if you are already aware of the above.

Resmum
zorro

Post by zorro »

I watched that programme too- awful! So much for CRB checks , they obviously didn't exist then.
mad?

Post by mad? »

they did exsist but only the state sector was obliged to do them...

Friends of mine have kids at Harrodian and they love it - very untraditional - no uniforms etc. They are seriously rich and their school friends all appear to be celebs children or semi famous...this seems to suit them well...but it might not be to everyones taste AND it might just be a reflection of their choice of friends...
mad?
ingunn

Post by ingunn »

Thanks everybody for your answers.

My DD was interviewed 10 days ago and liked the school very much. She's not on the accademic side, and since not everybody can go to Oxbrifdge and then lead the nation, I'm happy to get a place for her where she can have a good time. Shes not even particularly talented in drama, I am afraid.....End of the day she's only 11!

I am not rich, let alone famous, but the parents I met the day of the interview looked pretty much normal to me. Nevertheless, I spotted my first Lamborghini in the school parking the day of the exam.....

All the teachers I met looked pretty young though...
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

Hi there my daughter was interviewed too and we're considering it. My only reservation is that I think it's a bit laid back when it comes to the academic stuff - so I'm pretty sure she'd be happy if she went there but whether she'd achieve what she's capable of I dont know. And how much does that matter is another debateable point. I primarily want her happy and confident because a lot stems from that and I dont think I mind if she ends up with slightly fewer A grades than she might get elsewhere - but probably do mind if she ends up with fewer GCSEs. It's such a tricky choice at the moment - Harrodian is the first school we're considering to send out their offers so we will see

Good luck to you and your daughter - from what I hear its a good school for allowing you to be yourself whatever that may be.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I know another school which attracts parents who work in the media. They are generally very liberal - too liberal IMO - but I don't know anything about Harrodian. It may be worth considering this.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Is that the school in Hampstead - King Alfred's I think it's called?
ingunn

Post by ingunn »

Hi Mittenkitty, glad to have found a fellow parent !
What was your impression about the parents applying for Harrodian? Everybody say to me "Oh, That's such a shwobizzy school", but honestly I don't think so. It's Richmond-average.
Maybe I am not impressed because I saw (from the outside ) the Hampsted school where the likes of Paltrow/Martin,Jamie Oliver and kate Moss send their offsprings!
And by the way, do you know when they will be sending their offers? So I can inform my hubby when I will be approachable again!
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

Hi there

I agree the parents are probably pretty typical for any of the west london private school - a bit more wealthy than some maybe but its not hugely apparent. Like you i thought the people looked pretty normal - but there were some serious cars in the car park and I know some kids who go there arrive by chauffeur etc

offers get posted Friday -so hope for an efficient post or it will be a long weekend for your husband!