Appeal over

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nayna P

Appeal over

Post by Nayna P »

After a month of thinking about what I would say at an appeal, it is finally over.

Just to let you know that I had my appeal for Slough Grammar. The appeal panel were friendly and put me at ease. Never got to summarise my case because the panel said they just wanted to know about ds character and I had satisfied them with what I had already said. I felt it would have been nice to be given a few extra minutes and my speech was only 5-6 minutes long. Only questions they asked was about

More detail on what ds got in practice papers and what was the birth date, which one of the panel converted to standardised score
What is ds reading at the moment?
How would ds get to school?

It was over so quickly. The panel had already being going for 3hrs when it was my turn. I just got the impression that they were tired and had heard it all before, which they probably had. I have no idea of how it went.

According to the school rep there are 150 appeals for Slough Grammar. I think they are hearing something like 12 appeals a day (1730-2130), 5 days a week for 3 weeks. A lot of people to go through.
Unlike some lucky people on this forum who got their result fairly quickly and were put of their misery, it seems we have to wait until everybody has been heard which will take another 2 weeks which means results posted in beginning of March near allocation day. It is torture to wait so long.

Many thanks to everybody on this forum, it has been very helpful and informative. Special thanks to Etienne and Chad.

Good Luck to you all
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good luck, Nayna P!

I do recall previous appellants (going through the old consortium appeals process) saying that they felt "rushed". This does concern me.

The Code of Practice suggests that appellants should be given the opportunity to sum up.

It is also good practice for the appellant to be asked at the end of the hearing "Have you had sufficient time to state your case? Is there anything you wish to add?"
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

It does seem that the Consortium and Slough Grammar do cut short the appellants.
While I realise that they want to get to the 'nuts and bolts' of the case I am also worried that things could be missed if they do not allow anyone to 'sum up'.
It will be a long 2 weeks for you....... :evil:
I will keep my fingers crossed.....
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nayna P

This also concerns me - a rushed appeal, slightly odd questions at first glance.

I do hope that you are successful. :D

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now