hi im really in need of some urgent advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
queen--b

hi im really in need of some urgent advice

Post by queen--b »

hi, my daughter will be sitting the11 +exam in november 2009 and to be perfectly honest i have just finished studying myself and therefore have not had the time to prepare and help before now.
dispite this set back i have downloaded past papers, visited rec'd websites and am participating in as much revision as possible.
i feel that the school that she attends in south bham dont feel that she is capable having only achieved level 3a in the last mock sats.
she is ne of the oldest in her class and will be 11 in sept where as the other children in her class will only be 10 this year.
i have managed to arrange once a week tutition in a small group setting and am trying to work about 1-2 hours per evening with my daughter myself.
i really just want an honest opiniuon ...have i left it too late? i aspire (and she does too) to attend one of the king edwards schools as there reputation is impecable.

dispite having a couple of degrees myself i still find some questions testing to say the least especially in a timed period.

any honest advice... :!:
SunlampVexesEel

Re: hi im really in need of some urgent advice

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

queen--b wrote:have i left it too late?
IMHO, No.

<<<Deleted my previous comment re: types since not applicable>>>
Animis opibusque parati
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree, it's not too late.

The King Edward grammar exam is said to be "uncoachable", it's not like the NFER-type exam used in most places (and which is used for Sutton Coldfield Grammar, if you're considering that as well), so advice based on other 11+ areas won't necessarily be suitable.

However, if you trawl through the previous posts you'll find plenty of advice from people who've successfully prepared children for the exam explaining what to expect, what's required and how to go about it.

Mike
deb489

Post by deb489 »

Never too late....Don,t worry you have loads of time...make a plan , slowly get rolling along..do your research (this site is just brilliant for ideas and motivation).

Plan to be in full throttle by the end of the summer holiday's..

Then just keep everything ticking over for the exams..

Love and praise helps instilling confidence in the child, and of course some treats to keep up the childs motivation.

Good luck.

p.s..we started our prep in mid March but worked hard through the summer hols as well.

Deb
queen--b

thx for the reply

Post by queen--b »

we have a tutor now too which takes some pressure off.
we are aiming for 2 hrs per night but there is so much new info to cover too.
i really hope we get in reading about 3500 applicants and 500places talk about close!!
also i was wondering about the previous message about king eds exam being uncoachable...what do u mean.? sorry to appear so ignorant
thx :oops:
fm

Post by fm »

Other exams (e.g. Sutton, Queen Mary's) are very predictable. The same thing appears every year in the same format and order. It is very easy to target such exams, although, because of this, a child needs to score relatively highly to succeeed. A tutor can 'train' or 'coach a child to pass these by repetitive practice.

King Edward is a much more changeable exam (new things added, old things disappearing every year). A tutor can improve the standard of a child's English and maths so children who should get in (i.e. very bright, numerate, literate children) do gain entry. Repetitive practice of test papers, however, with a less able child will not ensure entry as it might with other types of entrance exams.

Put simply, while I coach for Handsworth, Sutton etc.., I tutor in English and maths for KE, raise a child's general standard and speed and hope, as a by-product, they will gain entry.
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

I think variety of all different formats is the best way to approach the KE tests.

You have to work on speed and accuracy..the tests are designed to not to be completed..

We worked hard to be able to do the Nfer 50 min tests in about 35-40mins and also used Bond and other tests we could find...We also did lots of mental maths to bring that up to speed..You also need very good word usage and spelling at speed ..reading and also missing word type games and anagrams etc etc would be great for practice..
Also get solid 3d puzzles for seeing shapes at different perspectives as the KE tests for NVR are not the standard format..making lego shapes and looking at them in different views may help.

In maths you have to aim at covering all the Key Stage 2 topics and have a very good understanding of them ..

Good luck

Quizzer
queen--b

hi so are we saying in a round about way..

Post by queen--b »

that its easier to get into sutton girls than king edwards? as i was hoping to apply to both but try to get into king edwards as its closer?