Crunch time

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummog

Crunch time

Post by mummog »

Hi All

As feared, we received our letter today informing us that we have not been successful in our appeal for our DD. Whilst we are obviously disappointed, she is so enjoying her half-term break (and has not actually asked if we have heard anything), I will put off telling her until later in the week.

DH and I had already planned how to deal with the disappointment by turning the negative into lots of positives. We plan to complement her secondary school education with lots of extra activities, eg singing lessons, weekends camping to areas of geographical interest, taking part in activities planned by the local Wildlife Trust, etc. I will sell it all to her on the basis that she would not have time to do all these things if she were at GS - too much homework. With all the things we have planned, she may even end up being happy that she didn't get through!

Whilst I know she would have thrived at GS, I know she will thrive anyway and I doubt whether we will go down the 12+ route. I think I read somewhere on the site that our catchment GS had space for just 1 girl last year. (Never say never, Mummog)

Thank you all for your support, those of you still around and not on half-term break. I am trying to feel positive about the whole experience as you can probably tell. It is really good to hear from someone like Sarah whose DD is settled and happy - I know that it can be so.

Best wishes to you all
Mummog ***

(I'm not disappearing by the way)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thank you for letting us know your news - I know it's especially difficult when it is not the news you [and all of us on the forum] hoped for.

You are right to be positive and I think your plans are brilliant!! There are some good Uppers and many children do well - some benefit from being 'gifted and talented' rather than 'just ordinary' in a GS.

Do stay around - don't dismiss the 12+ yet as your daughter may want to try it.

Take care -
Nibbles

Post by Nibbles »

Hi Mummog,

I have been following your case with baited breath as you must be about the last of the Bucks 11+ appeals to post on this site this year.

I am so sorry that you weren't successful, such a disappointment after such a long wait.

Some children do well wherever they are and I am sure your DD will be one of them.

Best wishes.

Nibbles
sarah

Post by sarah »

Dear Mummog,

I'm so sad to hear your news.

This time last year I felt SO unhappy and disappointed.
DD had failed and we had failed at appeal. Then we had to start again with our DS. It was hard to get motivatived and hurt when she was helping him with ease on questions. He passed and she is really pleased for him.

Before she started her new school if she passed the 12+ I said she was going to move. Now I not so sure...

Take Care
Sarah
panickingmum

So sorry

Post by panickingmum »

Dear Mummog,

So sorry to hear! It sounds like your DD has a great time ahead of her and I am sure she will do well anywhere.
Thinking of you,

PN
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

So sorry to hear your news. But you sound positive and its not the end of the world although it feels like it. I think appeals have been really hard this year for some reason. You sound like your going to give your daughter a fantastic childhood and as long as shes happy thats all that matters. Might see you at 12+! Good luck to you all funkymum :wink:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Bad luck, mummog, we feel for you.

But what a brilliant idea you’ve had to complement DD’s education with loads of wide-ranging extracurricular activities – we might steal that idea if you don’t mind :D
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, you are the reason why I can't bear to leave the forum just yet.

Rob, we have found that making plans for DDs activities has given us something really positive to focus on. She will find it particularly hard I think because she has two big brothers at GS so, hopefully, we can find something which really interests her and at which she may go on to really excel.

Mummog x
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi mummog,

Very sorry to hear your appeal result, but well done for trying to make this disappointment into something positive.

Also at least you can say that you have done your very best for your child, and she will no doubt thrive at whatever school she goes to.

Good luck for the future

LFH
Last time Mum

Post by Last time Mum »

Mummog

I'm so sorry to hear you did not get the result you deserved.

Having had the same outcome with daughter No 1 I do understand how you must be feeling. I can only say that she has loved every minute of her time at upper school and is now taking her GCSE's this year(predicted A's and B's) and is staying on there into 6th Form - thats how much she loves it! The teachers in the subjects she has chosen are excellent ( I work at the school so know exactly whats going on) and I am very happy for her to stay there. Before she joined I was adamant I would put her in for 12 plus but no way - she would not hear of it!

I love your idea of extra curricular activities - I am sure your daughter will be very happy in her new school. :D

Love from Ana x