Can you appeal for more than one school at the same time?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reader

Can you appeal for more than one school at the same time?

Post by Reader »

Perhaps this is in one of the lengthy-looking stickies but say you are offered your 3rd choice school is it wise to appeal for 1 & 2 at the same time as I think that there is a time frame to appeal in? Does anyone bother appealing for non-selective schools with whatever bright reasons they can think of even if they are not compelling reasons?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

A2. Is there a deadline for the submission of an appeal?

There is no statutory time limit for the submission of an appeal, but Admission Authorities may well indicate a date by which papers should be submitted, so that the necessary arrangements can be planned (it could, for example, be 14 days from the receipt of the decision letter). Check carefully all the paperwork to make sure you don’t overlook any deadline, or you could miss having your appeal heard at the same time as everyone else.
It's probably a good idea to appeal for more than one school, if possible.
Does anyone bother appealing for non-selective schools with whatever bright reasons they can think of even if they are not compelling reasons?
Yes!
Etienne
Reader

Thank you

Post by Reader »

Thank you for the reply. I will start racking my brains for some 'reasons'!
Can't actually think of any that sound valid so even the most spurious thoughts would be gratefully received! Do you think that sometimes just submitting an appeal at least makes the school think "at least they're keen,
unlike many others" or do you become a pp before you start. We are just past the 3rd round geographical limit for school no.2 so it is a long shot.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, I don't think the mere submission of an appeal is going to impress. :lol:
By the way, it's the appeal panel, not the school, that needs impressing!

It's time to get to grips with those lengthy looking stickies ........

If you're appealing against oversubscription, start with the Q&As, section C.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... #section-C
C2 lists the most common reasons for appealing.
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:No, I don't think the mere submission of an appeal is going to impress. :lol:
By the way, it's the appeal panel, not the school, that needs impressing!
I'll add a little to Etienne's comment... Just submitting an appeal has no bearing on the waiting list, so you won't jump up a few places because you've appealed. Any waiting list is still in place until the appeals start, and in some areas there is still a little shuffling around. We get appeals withdrawn sometimes because the child has been offered a place as they'd got to the top of the waiting list.

After the appeals, any waiting list is still there, but it moves a lot slower - especially if the school has had to admit more than their Published Admissions Number (PAN) because more appeals were allowed than there were places.

Etienne is certainly correct when she says it's the Appeals Panel that needs impressing - so if you don't try an appeal, you can't win an appeal! Make sure that the school knows you want to be on the waiting list though, irrespective of what you decide to do with the appeal.

As for non-selectives, yes, there are lots of appeals for them, they just don't have the non-qualification element that a selective has.

Good luck.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now