English Writing

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
supermum2

English Writing

Post by supermum2 »

Hi everyone, I ama newbie on this site so I thought I would jump in and ask a question of all you knowledgeable people out thre.

I am desperately looking for an English Tutor. I have a son who needs some support with the Writing Element to even have a chance at some of theses entrance exams. Does anyone have any suggestions for tutors near central London.

Your help would be fabulous
All I need now is wings!
RAKSH

eng tutor in edgeware

Post by RAKSH »

Hi supermum2

I have pmd you.

raksh
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Thank you for this have left a message
All I need now is wings!
Sassie'sDad

English writing

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Please don't take this the wrong way but the idiom of English is such that your subject title ought to be Writing English.

In all seriousness, can I please urge you to read to your dear daughter/son (sorry almost no short term memory... well turning 60 in next few days!) and have them read (out loud) to you. You will probably have already decided that I am barking but when I started this with my dd she read in a virtually inaudible tone. Read a verity and different genres. Can I please suggest Victorian/Edwardian Classics; modern Popular Classics and anything your child finds gripping. I started out some years ago determined that my number two (last child) would get a Grammar School place despite always attending a mixed bag of state schools. I even resorted to home schooling at one point.
I do not consider she is particularly "clever" although she is conscientious and she is consistant and 'a sticker'.
Well she recently passed the entrance for a prestigious Public School and won a Foundation Scholarship. (My biggest worry for the last several weeks has not been has she "passed" the eleven plus but how the **** will I ever find the other 90% of the tuition fees!
She has taken other entrance exams (and passed them) and her verdict was that the ***** School exam was the hardest; particularly the English Comprehension. The passage in question was in 'historic' English. This from a child whose mother is Mandarin speaking!

Please everyone, if you want to help your child don't just prepare them for NFER or VR, or even Non VR. Just go back to instilling a love of learning and instil a sense of self-belief and confidence! 'Teach them' to do their work against the clock. I don't mean as fast as possible but to answer spontaneously against the clock. ... In our neck of the woods (Warks} the latest Eleven Plus requires a real 'tour de force'!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now