Not long now

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

watfordmum66

Not long now

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,

Just wondering how everyone is coping coming up to allocation day.

I certainly am unable to shift the thought from my head.

Hoping it will be news that everyone wants :)
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

I have not slept we11 at a11 since you visited the Hotel, watfordmum66, and have relived the nightmares of waiting those 2 long years ago. :lol:

Hoping it will be news that everyone wants too.
tense

Post by tense »

Cannot believe it has been nearly a year since I too was stressing about "the day".

I honestly thought my DD had no chance of getting her first choice. We hadn't spoken much about schools at home to her, but as allocation day loomed she was really anxious & tearful. It was horrible to see - believe me, the kids talk about it in the playground!

On the day, I had thought the email allocation would come late afternoon. I went straight from work to collect my DD after school & found that everyone else had their results! But I am so glad I didn't know. The playground (IMO) is no place for such news. At home I rushed to turn on the PC but didn't have an email so logged in to the county system. It was very quick & efficient & my DD's allocation flashed up in big letters (the email was later found to have gone to my spam box altho' all the previous ones from county had made it through).

My DD got her first choice & we were over the moon - still are! But then the phone started to ring - with other parents wanting to know where my DD was going. To have to talk to people whose children had not got their first (or in some case) any choice was really hard. So I do recommend that those of you waiting for news this year think a little about how you will handle things on the day - & buy in the chocolate (& wine) for whatever the results.

Best of luck to you all!
Ebonysmum

Post by Ebonysmum »

I am feeling nervous now too. My DD has received one offer so far from St Margaret's Bushey but we are awaiting the consortium results for Heathfield and Northwood College on 26th Feb and then Henrietta Barnett on 3rd March.

I haven't even thought about what I will say to the other parents come result time. I am just hoping that everyone gets their choices. My DD was one of only two girls in her class to get through to the second round of Henrietta Barnett and I felt so guilty speaking to the other mums whose daughters didn't get through.

It is such a tense time for us all but I do believe that all of the hard work we and our respective children have put in will pay off and they will end up in the best school for them.

I have a break for another few years as my youngest DD is only 5 but at least I now know what to expect when the time comes.
raceytracey

Sleepless nights

Post by raceytracey »

The time is looming and I cant sleep with worry over all this. I keep trying to put it to the back of my mind but now its countdown and I am a jittering mess.

My DD is very laid back about it all. Maybe she thinks all will be ok. We live in between Clement Danes and Rickmansworth school and these are our top choices.

The third I just dont want to even go there. We put Westfield only because there really was no alternative and not being Catholic Joan of Arc was out of the question.

My husband says there is nothing we can do until after 2nd March but quietly I am freaking out.

I did smile the other day though because in the Watford Observer they were advertising for people to be on the panel at Rickmansworth School for the appeal process. I thought mmm maybe I could apply for the position under my maiden name!! but hubby said 'dont even go there'!!

Oh well roll on 2nd March and lets get all this waiting over with before all the fun starts!!
watmum

Re: Sleepless nights

Post by watmum »

raceytracey wrote: I did smile the other day though because in the Watford Observer they were advertising for people to be on the panel at Rickmansworth School for the appeal process. I thought mmm maybe I could apply for the position under my maiden name!! but hubby said 'dont even go there'!!
ROFL raceytracey that made me smile! Silly isn't it all this stress?, funny thing is my DD is a sibling for our first choice school and I am still stressed out about the whole sorry business!

Good luck one and all, fingers X'd for each and every one of us.
AlisonR

Bushey Meads

Post by AlisonR »

I have just found out that Bushey Meads (one of our choices) had 691 applicants for 170 places (source - Bushey Meads School website).

This is only 10 up on last year... I had thought there would be be a much bigger increase in applicants for schools this year due to a larger number of children and also less people applying for Independent Schools.

I wonder if this is representative across all schools.

Can you tell I'm getting nervous about all this? :D
Only 9 days to go...

Alison
WP

Re: Bushey Meads

Post by WP »

AlisonR wrote:I have just found out that Bushey Meads (one of our choices) had 691 applicants for 170 places (source - Bushey Meads School website).

This is only 10 up on last year... I had thought there would be be a much bigger increase in applicants for schools this year due to a larger number of children and also less people applying for Independent Schools.
Bear in mind that the 691 includes all rankings. Bushey Meads is a popular backup preference for people who have ranked the Watford grammars, Parmiter's and Queens' higher. Also, they tend to have a fair bit of movement on their waiting lists, if you don't get in on offer day.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

We have enjoyed a fab half term staying with Gran lots of walks and sandcastle building and I forgot about allocations for a whole week. When we returned my first thought as sorting washing was I wonder what we will be offered.

Only an increase of 10 for Bushey Meads lets hope this is indicative of all schools :)

I know the email comes in the afternoon ( for those that did on online application ) but can you log on to the site earlier in the day to find out ? :?
WP

Post by WP »

watfordmum66 wrote:I know the email comes in the afternoon ( for those that did on online application ) but can you log on to the site earlier in the day to find out ? :?
As I recall from previous years, the email arrives around 1 (give or take an hour), but allocations aren't shown on the website till after 3.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now