CEM exams - Woodford County & Latymer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fraz87

CEM exams - Woodford County & Latymer

Post by Fraz87 »

Hi

My friends daughter wants to apply to both schools (woodford county and latymer) as she cannot decide which one to go to, and I can see they both have the CEM entry exam - does that mean if she sits one exam and passes she can choose which school she wants to go? Or does she have to take 2 different exams - one for each school? Thanks. And any advice as to which is better etc is more than welcome :)
Daogroupie

Re: CEM exams - Woodford County & Latymer

Post by Daogroupie »

Latymer has abandoned CEM, Do a search on my posts and read my thread about it.

They are now using GL Maths and VR for the first round and their own English Comprehension and Composition for the second round. Only 500 students will get a place in the second round. The first round is on Saturday 15th July. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Where do you actually live? Although WCHS is now legally obliged to let any girl who wishes to sit the entrance exam (or to register to have her raw score shared with the school if sitting the same exam elsewhere), the admissions criteria give precedence to applicants from the Redbridge grammar schools' common catchment area and in practice, the number of in catchment applicants ensures that no OOC applicants ever gets a place at the school. Have a look at the map on the London Borough of Redbridge website if you're unsure.

Latymer also has a catchment area, which is detailed on their website.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
IonaM

Post by IonaM »

Hi there

Both schools have open days which are really helpful in working out whether either will be a good fit. Also both schools will explain their entrance criteria and process. You do need to work out whether you're in the catchment for both as both fill their places from the surrounding area. You can find details on the websites of the local authorities that each school is in.

Hope this helps
IonaM

Post by IonaM »

Hi there,

My daughter has a place at Latymer but did her 11+ at Woodford. We chose Latymer because my daughter did not want to go to a girls-only school. When we visited she was very excited by the range of activities and extra curricular things on offer. Out of all the schools that we visited including local secondaries, she liked Latymer most. To be honest I think its much of a muchness, their results are very similar.. Your friend and her daughter probably need to go and see the schools themselves to see which feels best.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

But now the two schools have completely different exams she will not be able to do one core preparation and sit one exam at one school and send the results to the other like you did.

So unless the OP want to do two different types of preparation she needs to choose now.

The Latymer open day is only two weeks before the exam so she can't wait until then. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now