Appeals for a child low on waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KTGL6

Appeals for a child low on waiting list

Post by KTGL6 »

First post.. Can anyone advise, please? Our son passed the test for Marling but is ranked low on the waiting list. Thinking of going to appeal if he doesn't get offered a place but not sure on what basis, would it be 'over subscription' rather than 'non-qualification'? Or do we need to wait until March to be clear? Admissions office said that 70 boys passed but didn't get offered places last year which seems a lot! (poor them). Confused..
DC17C

Re: Appeals for a child low on waiting list

Post by DC17C »

KTGL6 wrote:First post.. Can anyone advise, please? Our son passed the test for Marling but is ranked low on the waiting list. Thinking of going to appeal if he doesn't get offered a place but not sure on what basis, would it be 'over subscription' rather than 'non-qualification'? Or do we need to wait until March to be clear? Admissions office said that 70 boys passed but didn't get offered places last year which seems a lot! (poor them). Confused..
Hi I believe you would have to show you have alternative academic evidence that perhaps showed your ds did not perform at his best in the test.....high CAT scores, well above average performance in school etc also why the school is most suitable for your ds. There is also the issue of oversubscription which may be difficult to argue as I believe the PAN has increased so the school may be more able to argue they are full to capacity....but then you may just go with you have nothing to lose so worth a try.
Every appeal is unique ..look through all the info in the appeals section and be realistic about the evidence you can pull together ....if the evidence seems fairly compelling ..you'll want to do it ....if less compelling you might just accept where you are and start bigging up the alternative school. I certainly know kids who have gone to less than ideal schools and still end up in the grammar schools for sixth form.
Last edited by DC17C on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KTGL6

Post by KTGL6 »

Many thanks. Very helpful. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Until National Allocations day you aren't on any waiting list.

However, it is worth going to the appeals sections and reading the stickies which answer practically anything you need to know :)
KTGL6

Post by KTGL6 »

Again, very useful. Thank you!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

KTGL6 wrote:Many thanks. Very helpful. :)
Ypu are welcome....amd good luck with your decision .....it is a difficult place to be but it can be worthwhile..
jerseycow

Post by jerseycow »

I'm in the same position as you, KTGL6. My DD2 qualified but was ranked about 24 from the bottom. I think for her to get a place at RH, where her older sister attends, we are potentially going to have to appeal. Having said that, I am already formulating evidence which I can bring to the case in favour of her ability! I have kept the results of mock tests she did which show her improvement over the 3 tests. Also, our primary school doesn't do CATs so she will need to do well in her SAT mocks in the new year. Her teacher's know our situation and are prepared to help however they can. Always good to get your child's school on your side. :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now