Sutton SET English - Cloze?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mobilecomms

Sutton SET English - Cloze?

Post by Mobilecomms »

Hi all,

I was researching the Sutton SET stage one tests and I came across a post that said that there would be some Cloze testing in the English. Could anyone advise where we could get some practice for this? Will it be testing punctuation/grammar/spelling, more VR type stuff or is it just the format for answering comprehensions? Ds will be sitting the Sutton SET mocks shortly and we have only recently started prep but I want to send him in as prepared as possible so we get a realistic idea of where he will sit in the cohort. Any suggestions for resources very gratefully received.

Thanks!
tiffinboys

Re: Sutton SET English - Cloze?

Post by tiffinboys »

Look at the books in the Shop section here.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Books/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also search on Amazon and order books there. W H Smith and Waterstone also stock books and 11 plus test material, so could see those before buying.

Good Luck. Are you preparing your kid yourself?
Mobilecomms

Post by Mobilecomms »

Hi Tiffinboys thanks for that. We have hired a tutor but he only started a couple of weeks ago. The tutor seems great but he only sees ds for an hour a week and he has been honest that he has tutored children for various London schools but has no specific experience with the Sutton/Surrey grammars. I was more interested in getting an idea of the kind of format the SET is most like - i.e. is it more similar to GL type questions or CEM and I read somewhere about Cloze which I thought was a VR thing but somebody mentioned it in relation to the English paper on SET. Do you have any specific recommendations for books on the link you suggested? There are loads and I wouldn't know where to start!

Thanks in advance :)
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

When my dd sat it for 2015 entry we did Cloze practice from a book with a green cover. Might have been First Past The Post but I can't remember. That year there were two Cloze sections in the SET.
It wasn't like CEM. Much more GL English type questions.
Not really anything like standard VR questions.
The challenge with the maths seems to be the quantity rather than it being particularly difficult.
I'd try and get a mock booked at one of the Sutton grammars if you can.
Historically they have been very similar to the SET in content.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We had used this book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloze-Grades-6 ... ords=cloze" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But now many other books relating to 11+ tests are available.
First Past the Post
CGP

Whatever you do, first take time to teach the techniques before practising test papers. You will need lot of patience initially, make corrections with the child explaining the mistakes/better way of attempting the question. Speed and accuracy both are important and both could be improved vastly with practice, if technique is right. The English tests needs strong vocab, which will come from extensive reading, paying attention on synonyms and antonyms. I think you know about that already.

Child would need to be strong in Comprehension and creative writing part.

Once ready, you may like to use GL type test papers for Sutton SET. However, the actual tests are harder than the papers generally available in the market.

As for VR, we found it useful to be familiar with these papers (leaving aside coding type of questions).

Hope this help. All the best.
Mobilecomms

Post by Mobilecomms »

tiffinboys and moonunit thank you both that is incredibly helpful. I actually booked ds in for the SGS mock but we had to cancel as the date clashes with the weekend he's away on a school trip which is incredibly frustrating. I've booked him into one at Wallington Grammar now but don't know if it is comparable. Thanks again for your help!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Wilson's School also has mock exams and is expected to be quite beneficial as well.

https://www.wilsonspfa.org/familiarisat ... pplication" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now