Borderline Child

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Netsandcubes

Borderline Child

Post by Netsandcubes »

Hello.
Did anyone go against teachers recommendations to not sit the 11+ and the child passed anyway?
I've also read some recent reports that borderline children often benefit most from grammar schools.

My child is due to sit in 2017
I would appreciate any success stories or advice please.
FortyNinePence

Re: Borderline Child

Post by FortyNinePence »

I had a borderline child, at least I thought she was by Y5.

She's an August birthday and has flown in Y6. She missed on 1 paper by 1 point , so wasn't deemed selective. We had always thought she was borderline, and were told by her school after the results that they had expected her to pass and that if we appealed we would have their full backing. Crucially, they also said to me that she wouldn't struggle at all at a grammar.

She's made rapid progress in Y6 which we were able to report on in her appeal and she won a place at her first choice grammar.

It's not been without its heartache. When she didn't pass she was very, very upset. Her resilience this past 6 months as she's seen all her friends pass and get offered the school she wanted has been astonishing. I'm so very proud of her and so very pleased she has got what she wanted, which she has worked hard for, and has learnt that not everything comes easily, but that persistence and tenacity can win through.
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

DD2 was really late learning to read, and labelled as poor at English and average at everything else by in year4. We then relocated and sent her to an independent school as we couldnt get a place in a tbw school for year 5. Our first primary school would have definitely told us not to bother with the 11+

She thrived at the new school and improved dramatically was diagnosed with dyslexia weeks before the kent test. missed the english component (by 5%) and has just won an appeal at Weald of Kent.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some of the best students I have taught have got in on appeal or 12+. This is Bucks but I can't see Kent being any different.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD was late to read and a bit later still for writing.
She had been put in the bottom maths set in year 1, but I didn't know until year 2. Year 1 teacher thought she was nice but dim I think. Basically she was and still is shy and wouldn't answer questions when being assessed, but this was taken as couldn't answer. She was moved up to the middle set in year 2 (because I felt it wasn't right for various reasons and I had experience of teaching maths to adults, so teacher reassessed her) and top set in year 3.

Her year 4 teacher was confident she would be more than able to pass, and that she thought the GS may suit her better. Her year 5 teacher was very doubtful.

She scored well with me tutoring her, and is doing well at GS in year 10.
September2017

Post by September2017 »

It's good to hear other's whose children have/are border line..

My child is borderline, she is putting so much effort into all her learning. but maths and nvr are not her strongest subjects:(

We haven't asked our school their opinion as I am sure they would advise us against putting her forward for it.

I think every child deserves a chance at it, and can oh try their best :)

Whatever happens I know this experience will only enhance her learning and prepare her for year 6 and then the next chapter.

September 2017
Netsandcubes

Post by Netsandcubes »

Thank you for posting all of your positive outcomes. It's great to hear the progress children can make over a short period of time. My child's Recent CAT scores were just below the recommended 118 so we are going to register him for the Kent Test.
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

and dont forget, that is 118 by the end of year 6. so if your DD is in year 5 now, you'll expect some improvement between now and then...
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

Hi I'd just like to add that my son was definitely considered borderline and although in a very high achieving primary school he was not deemed as suitable. From memory I remember his cat scores around this time indicated very borderline.
He pretty much smashed the test in the end and was the highest scoring boy in the class in the end despite the other 10 or so boys deemed far more suitable! So keep pushing, keep practising! He's now just finishing up yr 8 and doing fantastically!
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

My son scored low on CAT tests.Always been a late developer. I felt he could pass the 11+ & he wanted to do it.We did not even tell the school as we were OOC & they would have said he would not pass.He worked really hard & I said we would only work together if we did not argue. He worked so hard & he passed & was accepting into Skinners off the Wait list.Nearly at the end of Year 8 now. He will never be top of the top but still works hard & is really happy & has some lovely friends. Give it a go you have nothing to lose. Just don't make a big deal out of it & its the not the be all & end all of everything.Good Luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now