Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:42 am
Posts: 4
Hello All
We visited HBS yesterday on their open day. During her talk, the Head Teacher mentioned that the first stage test will consist of
    Verbal Reasoning
    Numerical Reasoning

I had it from a trusted source that HBS exams definitely have NVR tests. I am a little confused now. Will the numerical reasoning tests have some aspects of NVR ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Regards
Squareofthewicket


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 6:48 pm
Posts: 13
squareofthewicket wrote:
Hello All
We visited HBS yesterday on their open day. During her talk, the Head Teacher mentioned that the first stage test will consist of
    Verbal Reasoning
    Numerical Reasoning

I had it from a trusted source that HBS exams definitely have NVR tests. I am a little confused now. Will the numerical reasoning tests have some aspects of NVR ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Regards
Squareofthewicket


Hi Squareofthewicket

you made me laugh
you said" from trusted source" and ask then the public. better you say untrusted source.
anyway I have no idea and I too interested to know about it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:42 am
Posts: 4
2pass wrote:
squareofthewicket wrote:
Hello All
We visited HBS yesterday on their open day. During her talk, the Head Teacher mentioned that the first stage test will consist of
    Verbal Reasoning
    Numerical Reasoning

I had it from a trusted source that HBS exams definitely have NVR tests. I am a little confused now. Will the numerical reasoning tests have some aspects of NVR ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Regards
Squareofthewicket


Hi Squareofthewicket

you made me laugh
you said" from trusted source" and ask then the public. better you say untrusted source.
anyway I have no idea and I too interested to know about it


My so called trusted source is a friend whose DD is studying in Year 9 at HBS. During the next six or so weeks I just want to ensure that my DD has her focus on revising and practising the relevant things and working on her weak points.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 7424
Location: Herts
There is no NVR in the HBS exam.

HBS exam Round One is CEM VR and Numerical Reasoning.

DG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 4996
You might find this section helpful https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ld-11-plus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 5646
Location: Essex
scary mum wrote:
You might find this section helpful https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ld-11-plus



There are a couple of errors on that page, though...

- it seems that there are now 104 places in year 7, not 93

- if this bit ('Test types') is correct:

The results of Round One (verbal and numerical reasoning tests) will be combined, standardized and placed in rank order. On the basis of this rank order, the top 300 candidates will be invited back to sit Round Two in October 2017. The results of Round Two will be combined with the results from Round One, standardized and placed in rank order before being submitted to the Local Authority who will offer the highest ranked applicants in accordance with parental preference. ,

this bit ('Scores') can't be:

The results of part one will be combined, standardised and placed in rank order. The top 500 candidates will then have their English and Maths tests marked. The results of all 4 sections will be combined and placed in order of rank.  ?

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am
Posts: 837
HBS has not had any NVR for years and years - your so called 'trusted source' in Y9 won't have done NVR when she took the tests :!:

Better give your 'trusted source' a talking to. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am
Posts: 837
OP why did you not believe the Headteacher when she explained the format of the exam? did you think she was misinformed about her own school?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 5646
Location: Essex
piggys wrote:
OP why did you not believe the Headteacher when she explained the format of the exam? did you think she was misinformed about her own school?


Possibly the Trusted Source's DD took more than one entrance exam and nearly four years later they have all melded into one in her memory?

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Numerical Reasoning
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:42 am
Posts: 4
Thank you everyone for your reply.
So it looks like they will not have an NVR section after all. One less thing to worry about which I guess is a good thing.

Regards
Squareofthewicket


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2childmum, skipsmash and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2017