Bucks 11+ 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hasmum

Bucks 11+ 2018

Post by hasmum »

Hi
I have heard from a few people that the Bucks 11 plus will be going back to GL assessment in 2018 . But they will keep the 3 subject areas. I just wanted to know is there any practice material recommended firstly . (Asking for my friends child for next year)

Secondly i want to get workbooks just to brush up on english/ VR , which books would be recommended? Is CGP still ok , even though i used them previously for the CEM exam. My daughter will go into yr 4 and is August born . Just want to start building vocab and VR skills. Hope GL will not bring in codes and sequences etc. With NVR and maths i guess u can do all books to get a variety.

Sorry if there has been a post on this couldn't find anything re new exam.

Thanks in advance.
Havent been on this site for a good while now, Hi to anyone who remembers me. .
Guest55

Re: Bucks 11+ 2018

Post by Guest55 »

Wait until we know more ... there will be more information soon.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Welcome back!

A further announcement will be made in November, but my crystal ball says very clearly that there will be no return to the highly tutorable codes, sequences, etc.

The original announcement did state that the test would be curriculum-based, so I would be inclined to get a pack of each of GL's own English, maths and NVR practice papers to give you a flavour of what might be included. I think the NVR will almost certainly be in GL's current published format.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A member has just PMed me to remind me that GL publish sample materials online here:

https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/product ... materials/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just ignore the Verbal Reasoning papers though! It's English, maths and NVR you should be looking at, until and unless we are told otherwise.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
Thanks for replies, yes will get GL assessment papers.

I came on this sie when ds was goig to do his 11plus and he has now just done his GCSE's. Doesnt time fly?

Regards
new to all this

Post by new to all this »

Hello everyone,
Well it seems I will be "new to all this" once again, as everything has changed since I DIY tutored my daughter 6 years ago. Back then I found this site invaluable and am sure that will be true this time around too.
I was wondering if, as last time, a comprehensive schedule of when to start/how much to do and when/ which materials to use will be posted to the site. I realise this will be tricky at the moment as nothing is certain until Bucks release their info in November ( in the meantime I will follow the sensible suggestion to use GL NVR/Maths/English.
My loose plan was to give my son a base line assessment-I assume there will be some available online- a week or two into the new term, so he has time to settle back in, then begin with an hour a week of gentle home tutoring ( possibly as one session or two half hours)from October on ( switching when we study based on how motivated or tired he seems at any given time ).
Other than that I thought a weekly brush up on times tables ( he finished yr 4 on level 19 of cracking times tables, so pretty solid) and lots of reading ( which he happily choses to do anyway).
Would this seem advisable? I'm keen to ensure my boy, like his sis before him, finds the process stress free and as positive as possible.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I remember you hasmum, good luck for the GCSE results. Once the last CEM Bucks test is over in September there will be a refocus here and lots of great info as always. DG