Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:32 pm 

Hi

My son is starting yr5 in Sept 2017 and will be writing 11 plus in Sept 2018.
We are aiming for St Olaves. Can someone share tips and advises about this? How to draw a mind map/plan of the story.
We seem to be finding writing part hard.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:36 pm 

It is important to have a clear structure (beginning, middle and end) and we looked at keeping the story/continue the passage as simple as possible by introducing a mild dilemma that is then resolved. Concentrate on 'wow' words for vocabulary - 'the crimson sky burned fiercely' (use metaphors/similes etc). My ds wrote initially in a very formulaic way which worked for him and then evolved into more creative text as time went on.

St Olaves had poetry analysis last year. We took out several standard poetry books from the library and looked on google for the analysis of these to see what should be picked out. Standard poetical themes are love, death, growing old, being young, seasonal changes etc. Look at the simpler works of Ted Hughes, Sylvi Plath etc. Again pick out emotions, language devices, metaphors. The creative writing magic money cards (google) were useful for starting creative writing and we used a group tutor as well. St Olaves had a passage for the comprehension last year and then for the creative writing part, you had to imagine you were the main character from the passage ( in hospital). Ds wrote about the room, the colours (put in a metaphor), the smells, used similes, feelings/emotions. You only get about 30 minutes to write around a page and a half so every paragraph has to have impact.
Top tip is to practise writing every single week. Ds went from a paragraph in 45 mins at the end of year 4 to a page and a half of good writing in 30 minutes by Nov of Year 6.
Pm me for the tutor we used if you need to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:23 pm 

Please do let me know of the tutor that your child had-I havent been able to find a good one till now.I am hoping my son will be writing Olaves round 2 exam in November this year :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm 

Grgygirl, please share your tutor details as my son is preparing and will appear in 2018.