Appeal including missed test?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fifilarue

Appeal including missed test?

Post by fifilarue »

I'm sorry if this is in the Q&A but I can't see it as an FAQ. I imagine it is fairly unusual as part of an appeal. The School Admissions Code says that a school cannot refuse a place at the school the basis that a child misses an entrance test. I assume that the child would have to meet all of the entrance criteria except for the test and put the school first on their CAF, in order to be refused a place and then have a right to appeal.

Assuming this happens and the standard appeal process begins - what happens next? Does the child get an opportunity to sit the test? Or do they have to prove sufficient academic ability in some other way?

The school will definitely be oversubscribed so to get a place it will be in addition to the PAN. This is probably an impossible question but .... to get an offer, does the child have to be as academically able, or very much better, than the last candidate who was granted a place?

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Appeal including missed test?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
fifilarue wrote:I assume that the child would have to meet all of the entrance criteria except for the test and put the school first on their CAF, in order to be refused a place and then have a right to appeal.
The school ought to be somewhere on the CAF, not necessarily first, and it is the refusal to offer a place on 1st March that normally triggers a right of appeal.
Assuming this happens and the standard appeal process begins - what happens next? Does the child get an opportunity to sit the test?
The appeal panel cannot require the school to arrange another test.
Or do they have to prove sufficient academic ability in some other way?
This is what normally happens. The panel considers any alternative academic evidence. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The school will definitely be oversubscribed so to get a place it will be in addition to the PAN.
See: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is probably an impossible question but .... to get an offer, does the child have to be as academically able, or very much better, than the last candidate who was granted a place?
The Code merely refers to academic "suitability". It would, in practical terms, be impossible to compare academic ability because the panel has no right of access to the last successful candidate's alternative academic evidence in order to compare it with that presented by the appellant.

An appeal panel is also required to consider whether the admission arrangements are lawful and have been correctly applied, but it has no enforcement powers - it can only refer its decision to the school's governors and to the LA.
However, if the school has not complied with the Admissions Code, and if the child has thereby been deprived of a place to which he would otherwise have been entitled, the appeal can be allowed.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
fifilarue

Re: Appeal including missed test?

Post by fifilarue »

Thank you Etienne! Brilliantly comprehensive :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now