Music, specifically cello at NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mb74

Music, specifically cello at NLCS

Post by mb74 »

Apologies for the slightly off topic question.

My daughter is due to start Y7 in Sept. She’s going to travel in by tube and we will probably try and have lessons at school. She’s keen to join chamber groups and orchestra etc as she has been at her current school.

She’s quite mini and I can not see how she will manage with a large cello to carry on to the tube and then shuttle bus.

Does anyone know if the school keeps cellos that she can use for lessons there? The coach isn’t really an option as we are not close to any of the pickup points. Other option is to move music completely out of school which would seem like a terrible shame.

Thank you if any of you are able to help. I will of course call the school when term starts but just trying to plan.
piggys

Re: Music, specifically cello at NLCS

Post by piggys »

You are far better off calling the school directly to discuss this with the music department.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Gosh I am surprised this was not part of your decision critieria when choosing which private school to apply for.

But I am sure the school will have a policy to cover this. Both my dds played more than one instrument through secondary school and went to school by train and bus. They were able to apply to be allocated music lockers to keep their instruments in that could be accessed before and after school and one dd took just the mouthpiece to school for one of her instruments and put that into a loan instrument at school.

For concerts their instruments would be brought to school by car though they did have to struggle on the tube a few times to the Albert Hall with instruments, notably dd1 had to get there for one major concert with two by tube, though a colleague kindly helped her by carrying one.

We know many cello players at the school, some who get the train with my dds and I have never seen them on the train with the cello in seven years. I think they either used a loan cello at school or they purchased a cheaper second cello that was kept in their music locker at school.

DG
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

It really depends on the size of the cello. They'll probably have several full size cellos, but finding anything smaller might be an issue. If she's a scholar they might have a lending policy, I know they do at my dd's school. They will probably let her keep a cello at school, depending on how often she needs it. But I would email the school.
mb74

Post by mb74 »

[quote="Daogroupie"]Gosh I am surprised this was not part of your decision critieria when choosing which private school to apply for.

Hi Daogroupie,

We made our school choice based a very large number of factors and agonised about the decision when the offers came in (as I’m sure do most parents). Our biggest concern was to find a school where our daughter would thrive, meet “her people” and reach her potential. She’s a little geek but enthusiastic and joins in everything. What she isn’t is a music scholar so we didn’t factor in transportation of a large musical instrument on the back of a “vertically challenged” child! It’s good to know that there have been no cellos witnessed on the tube!

I will of course check with the school. I asked on the forum as my experience to date is that the NLCS parents have been incredibly helpful, both on and off the board.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Yes, they have cellos at school. Plenty of little ones too (DD1 played for 2 years in Junior school until the mutual decision was made that her 'talents lay elsewhere'- my neighbours cried with relief). There are multiple string ensembles as well as orchestras. A place for every player. Most girls leave their cellos at home and only bring them for concerts. As you go higher up the school and the really talented girls who have the means or the backing (conservatories lend to talented pupils) to acquire very expensive instruments, they can be left in a secure area in the Music School.
mb74

Post by mb74 »

Brilliant!

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear Shootmenow.

Many thanks.

mb74
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Have a look at the website for a taste of how many concerts, trips and ensembles are on offer. It will be a matter not of finding opportunities but of balancing the number of music activities with exploration of new interests. Unless your DD is single-mindedly keen, she should leave some time for trying out other clubs at lunch and break. Have a listen to year 8s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwHcEwGUCGA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piggys

Post by piggys »

shootmenow wrote:Yes, they have cellos at school. Plenty of little ones too (DD1 played for 2 years in Junior school until the mutual decision was made that her 'talents lay elsewhere'- my neighbours cried with relief). There are multiple string ensembles as well as orchestras. A place for every player. Most girls leave their cellos at home and only bring them for concerts. As you go higher up the school and the really talented girls who have the means or the backing (conservatories lend to talented pupils) to acquire very expensive instruments, they can be left in a secure area in the Music School.
Good news for the OP. Now, at the risk of coming over as a terrible pedant, I must remind posters that the plural of 'cello' as I'm sure you are aware, is 'celli'. Like 'cappuccini'.

As you were. :wink:
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

I stand corrected ;)