Go to navigation
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 pm 

conroyiwhiwhu wrote:
dad10 wrote:
Hi everyone,

My son has been offered a place at KE Handsworth boys. It is likely that he will be offered a place by Aston as he is quite high up on the waiting list. Distance wise they are about the same but Handsworth has the better public transport links.
I'm in a dilemna, some say leave at Handsworth as this school is rapidly progressing and some say accept Aston. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Review of King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School (Boys): https://goo.gl/maps/Wa5Uy9jNWqo

That review is just one of 37 on Google Maps - if you look at all 37 the overall rating is 4.2 out of 5. There are positives and negatives everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 am 

conroyiwhiwhu wrote:
dad10 wrote:
Hi everyone,

My son has been offered a place at KE Handsworth boys. It is likely that he will be offered a place by Aston as he is quite high up on the waiting list. Distance wise they are about the same but Handsworth has the better public transport links.
I'm in a dilemna, some say leave at Handsworth as this school is rapidly progressing and some say accept Aston. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Review of King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School (Boys): https://goo.gl/maps/Wa5Uy9jNWqo

Conroy where do you live again? Bristol? Glos? Birmingham?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 am 

:? :? See my post on the other thread Ricky74.....I too would be interested - and more so, in what school place conroy's son is allegedly holding a place currently.... :? :?

It tends to be trolls who refuse to answer direct questions and pop up on multiple threads, usually with negativity and implied superiority....are you one of those conroy?! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:05 am 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
:? :? See my post on the other thread Ricky74.....I too would be interested - and more so, in what school place conroy's son is allegedly holding a place currently.... :? :?

It tends to be trolls who refuse to answer direct questions and pop up on multiple threads, usually with negativity and implied superiority....are you one of those conroy?! :lol: :lol:

Just read your other post kenyancowgirl. It's spot on.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:15 pm 

Hi all, many thanks for your reply.
I have offer from Aston but thinking of sticking with handsworth due public transport, daughter going ti handsworth girls ....need to let them know by friday....help!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 pm 

dad10 wrote:
Hi all, many thanks for your reply.
I have offer from Aston but thinking of sticking with handsworth due public transport, daughter going ti handsworth girls ....need to let them know by friday....help!!!

Many have said go with the easiest travel option, and if your daughter is at Handsworth Girls it would make geographical sense.
Does one school offer something the other doesn’t that your son wants to do? Can you visit them both again? Which ‘felt’ right when you visited? Which does your son prefer as he will be there for the next 5 / 7 years? Does he have any friends going to either?

Sorry, probably just added more questions to your dilemma, but only you as a family can make the decision.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm 

Think it is probably too late to try and fit in another visit. Facility wise hs probably has the upper hand. Location is better too. The main thing that Aston has is that it is an ‘old timer king Edward ‘ and academically is performing better atm but HS is making rapid progress here too....

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 pm 

dad10 wrote:
Think it is probably too late to try and fit in another visit. Facility wise hs probably has the upper hand. Location is better too. The main thing that Aston has is that it is an ‘old timer king Edward ‘ and academically is performing better atm but HS is making rapid progress here too....

Good luck with your choice. If it's close then just go with gut feeling, proximity or how your son feels.

I think either is a solid option so whatever you decide I wish you all the best - if only these things were straightforward!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 am 

How would he travel to Aston, if he went there?

My feelings, based on two children at different schools, is that it's best to have options. I do wish my son at HGS had a shorter journey, but at least there are lots of different options - trains, buses, trams etc. He's been getting the green bus this year, but the biggest downside of that (other than cost!) is there's only one and if you miss it, you miss it! So I'd want to have plenty of alternative options for getting to school if possible.

If you can have both your children at school in Handsworth, that sounds like an advantage too, although they do finish at different times, so it may not make a huge amount of difference. And they're unlikely to want to travel together!

In reality, I doubt it will make any difference to your son's GCSE results which school he goes to. I'm pretty sure that's true of most schools to be honest, including decent comprehensives. So think about which he prefers and which will be most convenient.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:01 pm 

Hi all

Thanks for everyone’s advice....I’ve told Handsworth that we’ll be sticking with them..hope I’ve done the right thing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next