Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:13 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 am
Posts: 18
Hello, I am curious to know what other people would do in our situation. We have only told immediate family that our ds will try the 11plus this Sept. Grammar schools don't seem to be a done thing in our area and I dare not mention it at the school gates because I am not sure what the reaction would be. We only live 8 miles away from one but we are OOC. We also have a decent but oversubscribed faith comp nearby.

Our son has dysgraphia/dyspraxia and is being assessed for HFA. His schools ed psych performed a BAS3 test in March and we were shocked to find he has an iq/GCA in exceptional range - 142 (99.7 centile). The non verbal score was GCA 152 or 99.9 centile. She said she had never seen anyone answer all the visual/spacial questions correctly. He was lower in the verbal test. She personally recommended we try for the grammar school. she had worked there in the past herself and said he would be suited to it.

So that was the first time we had even heard of our local grammar! I thought grammars were just for academic/professional/wealthy families. I didn't even know they were free. Anyway I have been researching on here and have been doing some home tutoring with him - gl assessment / bond papers. He needs to sit VR/MATHS/ENG. Shame there is no NVR paper. He does well at maths. reasonable at vr but poor at English.

He does enjoy a test and we have found the sessions together at home quite bonding actually, he is a lovely boy who always does his school work when I ask him but he won't go out of his way to study. he would rather be watching dantdm youtube vids than have his head in a good book - but he will read if I ask him too and without protest. You wouldn't know he had such high iq if you met him. he is not of the little professor HFA type.
So, judging by his scores so far I am about 70% sure he won't meet the score to pass the 11plus-mainly based on his eng scores. but do I just let him sit it anyway? I don't think it will phase him. they will let him sit it in a small quiet room due to his SEN.

Should I follow the edpsych advice and just go for it? If 11plus is supposed to be an iq test then why isn't he maxing the tests at home? are these ed psych tests even accurate? comments positive and negative welcome but please don't think this is a stealth boast post because it is not. I just want to talk to people about our 11plus situation and you guys are the 11plus experts. Sorry about any grammar mistakes :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 15093
Welcome! Some really good questions which we'll try and help you with.

Firstly, which 11+ tests would he be sitting?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 8360
Location: Herts
Which school will he be sitting for?

Grammar school exams are open to any Y6 who lives in the catchment area and it is your choice as a parent to decide if your dc sits or not.

How does he feel about sitting the test? DG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 am
Posts: 18
Hello, it will be gl assessments, multiple choice in eng/vr/maths.
The grammar school does not give any info on pass rates. There are 150 places. last year about 500 sat the test. I believe that 100 go to in catchment and 50 to OOC. we are OOC. I have searched the relevant section on here (I don't want to name the school) and previous 11plusers seem to think OOC need to be getting over 80% in all 3 subjects. Nobody knows for sure.

there is no way he will incr his scores in English to 80%. So I suppose that means grammar school is not the place for him and the schools prefer somebody who is an allrounder rather than just a whizz in maths/spatial stuff. But why did the ed psych advise it knowing his verbal skills were not as exceptional as his non verb stuff.

He says he is fine trying for grammar school. He doesn't really give much opinion on what school he wants to go to. I think he just trusts that I am gonna choose the right one! But he is a man of mystery as to what is going on his head- he is aloof, just like his dad!! I know I need to get this decision about school right, for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 7745
Location: Essex
Daogroupie wrote:
Which school will he be sitting for?

Grammar school exams are open to any Y6 who lives in the catchment area and it is your choice as a parent to decide if your dc sits or not.

How does he feel about sitting the test? DG


Legally, grammar school entrance exams are open to any DC of the right age, wherever s/he lives. It is only at the application stage - that is, when an actual application is made for a place at the school by naming it on your LEA's Common Application Form- that criteria such as place of residence can be considered. That is, anyone can apply from anywhere, but the Admissions Authority (which may be the school itself or the its maintaining LEA) may prioritise local applicants over those living elsewhere

As for your original question- why not, if you would genuinely consider applying for a place if he did well enough?

The raw percentage needed for a successful standardised score will depend on the difficulty of that year's exams and the abilities of the cohort sitting it. With experienced exam setters, there shouldn't be any wild fluctuations in the former, but there could be
a difference in the latter from year to year.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:06 pm
Posts: 505
Have you and your son visited the schools? If not do that, maybe asking to go on a normal school day not an open day. If you and your son think that it's the right school for him then go for it. Make sure you manage his expectations and keep him grounded and see what happens.

I was very careful of how we discussed the different schools, I wanted my children to feel happy whichever schools they went to. It's all about managing expectations and making sure it's a positive experience. We're in an area either several grammar schools and with three children close in age I've seen a lot of parental behaviours that are truely dreadful.

If he doesn't get a place and you're sure it's the right place for him then you could consider appealing later, but that's a way off. I'm often considering seeking a diagnosis for my son (I strongly suspect HFA) and because of this I would have appealed for his chosen school. It has excellent pastoral care, and this over academic achievement would have been the reason. Fortunately we didn't have to appeal, but 4 years on I think having him in the right school has been absolutely critical.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:21 pm
Posts: 163
I'd concentrate on picking the right school for your DS. It doesn't have to be a grammar school but it should be the one where he will thrive & get the support he needs.

You've registered for the 11+ then I think you need to give yourselves the best shot at it if you want to keep your options open at this stage given I don't think you've visited all the schools yet. So make a plan at what will help you get into the right space for then in the time available without overdoing it!. I've seen other parents 'just let their dc sit the 11+' but i think thats really quite unfair with no exam preparation etc. It's as much about coping with the tight timing & format of the test.

Others will be better placed than I am with both GL format and SEN support.

Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:56 am
Posts: 193
moominmomma wrote:
there is no way he will incr his scores in English to 80%. So I suppose that means grammar school is not the place for him and the schools prefer somebody who is an allrounder rather than just a whizz in maths/spatial stuff. But why did the ed psych advise it knowing his verbal skills were not as exceptional as his non verb stuff.

He says he is fine trying for grammar school. He doesn't really give much opinion on what school he wants to go to. I think he just trusts that I am gonna choose the right one! But he is a man of mystery as to what is going on his head- he is aloof, just like his dad!! I know I need to get this decision about school right, for him.

If you are sure he won't 'pass' then it might be wise to pull out and save him from the hit on his self-esteem, particularly if you have a good alternative.

80% may be higher than he needs though and he may be OK. I'd be tempted to catch his Y5 teacher in September and ask his/her opinion. That is probably more relevant than the opinion of the Ed Psych.

Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 am
Posts: 18
RedVelvet wrote:
Have you and your son visited the schools? If not do that, maybe asking to go on a normal school day not an open day. If you and your son think that it's the right school for him then go for it. Make sure you manage his expectations and keep him grounded and see what happens.

I was very careful of how we discussed the different schools, I wanted my children to feel happy whichever schools they went to. It's all about managing expectations and making sure it's a positive experience. We're in an area either several grammar schools and with three children close in age I've seen a lot of parental behaviours that are truely dreadful.

If he doesn't get a place and you're sure it's the right place for him then you could consider appealing later, but that's a way off. I'm often considering seeking a diagnosis for my son (I strongly suspect HFA) and because of this I would have appealed for his chosen school. It has excellent pastoral care, and this over academic achievement would have been the reason. Fortunately we didn't have to appeal, but 4 years on I think having him in the right school has been absolutely critical.


we have been on a normal day- just waiting for the open day in sept-to be dazzled by some mind-blowing science experiments ! I haven't over hyped either the GS or the faith school to DS . I have not slated the awful local comp either but I am panicking incase we do not get the GS or Faith school and get allocated the awful local comp (special measures)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 am
Posts: 18
Octsmum wrote:
I'd concentrate on picking the right school for your DS. It doesn't have to be a grammar school but it should be the one where he will thrive & get the support he needs.

You've registered for the 11+ then I think you need to give yourselves the best shot at it if you want to keep your options open at this stage given I don't think you've visited all the schools yet. So make a plan at what will help you get into the right space for then in the time available without overdoing it!. I've seen other parents 'just let their dc sit the 11+' but i think thats really quite unfair with no exam preparation etc. It's as much about coping with the tight timing & format of the test.

Others will be better placed than I am with both GL format and SEN support.

Good luck.

we do have some open days to attend yet. I have been doing some prep work at home with him - I can't imagine not doing actually-the gl guide to the VR questions have been invaluable . There would be no way he could suss those style of questions out without prepping.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018