2 year ks3 programme - text books etc

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hel_tcw

2 year ks3 programme - text books etc

Post by hel_tcw »

Hi guys,
My ds is going to be the first year to start a 2-year ks3 programme when he starts at his new school in September. His big sis (about to go into yr9, same school) is on the "old" 3-yr ks3 programme. What changes are we likely to see?

We have been asked to pay for the new geography book that came out and of June, am just wondering which other books might change. The school is also planning on bringing in ipads/tablets for the study of science/ triple sci subjects, maths and Latin across all the years.

Any help from dp who have kids doing a 2 year ks3/ 3 year ks4 will be appreciated.

Ps - we are having another parent consultation in early Sept so some of my questions will be answered then, I just like to be prepared :-)
Guest55

Re: 2 year ks3 programme - text books etc

Post by Guest55 »

How can they justify asking you to pay for textbooks? There should be no noticeable differences - the students just choose options earlier. Year 9 was seen as a transition year anyway and often covered material in KS4; don't worry about it.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Am a bit surprised about the geography book tbh, however the emails says if we get it through parentpay then they get a better deal (13 quid instead of 25).

Just got to wait for school to start I suppose!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:How can they justify asking you to pay for textbooks?
We had to buy the science textbooks for Yr9 (not that he would look at them as they are the childish ones :roll: ) and English books for Yr10 - is that unusual then?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think more schools are asking parents to buy them these days. We've certainly had to buy all the A level ones.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

scary mum wrote:I think more schools are asking parents to buy them these days. We've certainly had to buy all the A level ones.
I think it’s getting more common more too as School budgets are getting squeezed further.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

English texts are usually asked to be bought so students can annotate them. ALL others should be supplied by the school. Some schools ask for a sixth form deposit to cover non-return of books.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:English texts are usually asked to be bought so students can annotate them. ALL others should be supplied by the school. Some schools ask for a sixth form deposit to cover non-return of books.
I can assure you that I have had to pay for ALL my son's A level books. I don't know about GCSE, but imagine those might be provided.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why though, has the school explained? I would be writing to the Governors ...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, there isn't enough money!
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now