Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 513
stse88 wrote:
Fawady wrote:
SVK wrote:
Hi um,

CHG offered 231 from waiting list in July.

I also heard that CHB remain at 242 until the end. There was very little or almost no movement since national offer day.


Having spoken to parents last night about lowest mark entering CHB, they confirmed that children with 239 are currently in year 7 (even if it is off the waiting list) !! so hope for everyone :D


Thanks for the info for CHB, as my son has managed 242 which was last year's cut off on our results letter. He has somehow got CHB on his head, so hopefully putting it first choice will give us a chance in the waiting list. But the wait will be the hard part I presume. Will be putting Handsworth or Aston as 2nd choice, which I presume he will get offered a place if he can't make CHB. Or all the people putting handsworth or Aston as first choice gets precedence?


All the best for CHB. You will get either KEA or HGS if you list them as your second choice and are not offered CHB on 1st March. It makes no difference if someone else puts it first - it is based on successful qualifying criteria. For example, if you haven’t scored enough for CHB on offers day the computer works down the list to your next school and will look at the score for that / or faith / distance / sibling - whatever is the criteria for that school. If you meet that criteria you will be offered your second choice, if you don’t it will move to your third choice. With a score of 242 (congratulations btw) you would likely ‘outrank’ the majority of people who put KEA or HGS as their 1st criteria is score. Hope that makes sense.

Please put the schools in your true order of preference. The schools never sees this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 pm
Posts: 9
Hi Might be a silly question but I was wondering how the Birmingham results compared to the QMGS results. i.e did anyone who took both pass one and not the other? Asking as DS took the bham test but now wishing we had entered him for the QM test. Is it a more difficult test? I see you can take as late entry in March and it got me thinking, thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 am
Posts: 2
Hi, just received my DS's results for QMGS. He does come under pupil premium and his results are 364. Does this pretty much guarantee him a place do you think? Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 513
stirpey wrote:
Hi Might be a silly question but I was wondering how the Birmingham results compared to the QMGS results. i.e did anyone who took both pass one and not the other? Asking as DS took the bham test but now wishing we had entered him for the QM test. Is it a more difficult test? I see you can take as late entry in March and it got me thinking, thanks


There are people who take both and do better in one than the other - you will see many examples on this forum. One test is not ‘easier’ than the other, they just have a different % split - Walsall favours Maths / NVR more than the B’ham one. For example, DS2 scored 6 points more on the Maths / NVR than the Comp sections of the B’ham test, and thus achieved a higher overall score for Walsall as he is better at those areas - 217 and 333.
I am unsure about a late test - this may be for people moving into the area?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 513
MaxineS wrote:
Hi, just received my DS's results for QMGS. He does come under pupil premium and his results are 364. Does this pretty much guarantee him a place do you think? Thanks


Congratulations, and PP or not I would be confident of a place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 am
Posts: 2
helen0209 wrote:
MaxineS wrote:
Hi, just received my DS's results for QMGS. He does come under pupil premium and his results are 364. Does this pretty much guarantee him a place do you think? Thanks


Congratulations, and PP or not I would be confident of a place.


Thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 pm
Posts: 9
helen0209 wrote:
stirpey wrote:
Hi Might be a silly question but I was wondering how the Birmingham results compared to the QMGS results. i.e did anyone who took both pass one and not the other? Asking as DS took the bham test but now wishing we had entered him for the QM test. Is it a more difficult test? I see you can take as late entry in March and it got me thinking, thanks


There are people who take both and do better in one than the other - you will see many examples on this forum. One test is not ‘easier’ than the other, they just have a different % split - Walsall favours Maths / NVR more than the B’ham one. For example, DS2 scored 6 points more on the Maths / NVR than the Comp sections of the B’ham test, and thus achieved a higher overall score for Walsall as he is better at those areas - 217 and 333.
I am unsure about a late test - this may be for people moving into the area?


Sorry wrong choice of words on my part didn’t necessarily mean easier I suppose it’s possible to perform better on a given day. Thanks for info, I have read about a few who have not hit the qualifier for bham but have for Walsall so made me wonder whether I shouldnhave let DS sit the exam.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 am
Posts: 5
helen0209 wrote:

All the best for CHB. You will get either KEA or HGS if you list them as your second choice and are not offered CHB on 1st March. It makes no difference if someone else puts it first - it is based on successful qualifying criteria. For example, if you haven’t scored enough for CHB on offers day the computer works down the list to your next school and will look at the score for that / or faith / distance / sibling - whatever is the criteria for that school. If you meet that criteria you will be offered your second choice, if you don’t it will move to your third choice. With a score of 242 (congratulations btw) you would likely ‘outrank’ the majority of people who put KEA or HGS as their 1st criteria is score. Hope that makes sense.

Please put the schools in your true order of preference. The schools never sees this.


Thanks for your clear explanation, this has put my mind at ease in filling the form and knowing my son will get a place in grammar school. He is very lucky to have this opportunity. Will be going to the open days next week to decide between HGS or KEA for his 2nd choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:25 pm
Posts: 85
stse88 wrote:
Fawady wrote:
SVK wrote:
Hi um,

CHG offered 231 from waiting list in July.

I also heard that CHB remain at 242 until the end. There was very little or almost no movement since national offer day.


Having spoken to parents last night about lowest mark entering CHB, they confirmed that children with 239 are currently in year 7 (even if it is off the waiting list) !! so hope for everyone :D


Thanks for the info for CHB, as my son has managed 242 which was last year's cut off on our results letter. He has somehow got CHB on his head, so hopefully putting it first choice will give us a chance in the waiting list. But the wait will be the hard part I presume. Will be putting Handsworth or Aston as 2nd choice, which I presume he will get offered a place if he can't make CHB. Or all the people putting handsworth or Aston as first choice gets precedence?



Stse88, well done to your son. That's an excellent score. I had some worries too and contacted the FO and they confirmed three offers were made from the waiting list and the last boy to be offered a place scored 241. This offer was made in June 2018. This looks promising and I hope it all goes well for 1st of March.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:04 pm
Posts: 12
Hi, first time going through eleven plus journey with my dd.
I have a question about the waiting list movement. I assume some student will give up their place because they are offered their higher choice after offer day.
Also some will take up places at independent school like kehs and kes. Is there any other reason for a child to give up their grammar school place beside these two reasons?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lollipop2 and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018