Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:14 pm 

Does anyone have a tried and tested workplan for Y5 that they would be happy to share or point me in the direction of for independent school Y7 entry preparation? We are completely new to this and trying to get some kind of plan together. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 am 

You need to say which schools you will be applying for and the exam format of each school.

A plan for a school using VR and NVR will be different from a plan for a school only using English and Maths.

You also need to post this in the Independent school section although there would actually be no difference between a plan for a state school selective that used the same exam format.

The exam format is the key. DG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 am 

Moved to Independent Schools section.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm 

Thanks for moving this.

We are looking at WHS, PHS, G&L, IPS and SPGS.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am 

I too am interested in this answer! DD is Y4 and we're looking at applying for a sports scholarship at an 'academically appropriate' selective school. We've never been through private schooling so admissions is all new to us.

I've done a fair bit of research on other forums, spoken to Schools and checked out websites. I think the main message is to enhance and prepare rather than push the child. I've been doing daily 'reading and rockstars' which is reading a book with her for anything from 5 minutes to 20 minutes and 3 minutes on Timestables Rockstars, which is a brilliant app for practicing times tables and working within time limits. She is getting better at getting through as many questions as possible and not stopping to pause and spend 30 seconds working one out. 43 correct with 5 wrong is better than 20 correct and zero wrong.

I've also got the CGP 10 minutes mental maths book which is done weekly. She loves maths, not so much English, so thought she should build on what she enjoys first so it's not a chore and everything is little and often.

NVR and VR will require lots of practice in the future to understand the format. I understand is a 'technique' to be learned. Someone on another forum suggest 6 x2 hour sessions with practice papers leading up to the exams should prepare them without over working them. Anymore and it's too much pressure or burnout it seems.

Anyway, that's our plan so far, so very interested in how others are preparing and what gets good participation.