Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:20 am 

My son will do the entrance exam for Highgate in late November. He has been tutored for the last 18 months doing past papers in maths and english from lots of different schools and in the last 2-3 months GL past papers in verbal reasoning and maths as he sat the exams for Latymer and Dame Alice Owen earlier this month. Wondering if we need to do anything specific for Highgate or just keep going with maths, english and VR past papers. TIA.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 am 

The DAO English and Maths papers will be harder than the Highgate English and Maths papers, so if you are being tutored to level of the DAO papers then that will be more than enough for Highgate.

You will need to do some NVR as their reasoning paper is a mixture of VR and NVR.

Excellent school. I know many students who are really happy there. DG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:19 am 

Thanks DG. To that point, we've been a bit demotivated since doing Latymer and DAO and not really picked up again. DAO went well but no idea if my son will get through. Any guidance of what prep to do for that one on 7th November other than just English and Maths past papers?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:37 pm 

I agree too, if you have successfully prepared for DAO, you are on the right track for HIghgate. The only thing to take into consideration is that the pages are timed, once your time is up, it’s time to move on. My daughter found their paper straight forward and the English was on a classic. I would suggest practicing exam
Papers regularly at this stage and getting timings and maximising points / scores etc. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:42 am 

How many exam papers per week would you think? He is also doing another entrance exam at Mill Hill which is the ISEB test so we need to prepare for that too which is completely different.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:16 pm 

I think it’s maybe an individual choice but for my kids (both at Highgate) they never did more than one exam paper a week (meaning one maths and one English), in the run up to the exams (and very often not even that) I think they can get quite stale / lose motivation and energy otherwise. Good luck with the exams!