Kendrick vs Henrietta Barnet

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CuriousCat

Kendrick vs Henrietta Barnet

Post by CuriousCat »

Hello,

Now that all the results are out for us to make a decision, we have the most critical task to fill up the CAF and take a right call. Fortunately my daughter has cleared the Kendrick exam (marks 123 so sure of getting through) and considering her general performances so far we think she might get through HBS too but would need some advice to choose one over another. We are currently residing in Reading so will have to move to London for HBS. We don't mind relocating if HBS has some really strong points making the move worth. Can I request some experienced parents and ones in the same boat to advise, as currently the only details about HBS I have received so far is Open day which is not sufficient. TIA
mad?

Re: Kendrick vs Henrietta Barnet

Post by mad? »

Congratulations to your DD.

The schools are very similar in every sense. For you, the difference is the that one means up rooting your family and downsizing your property. I think it is an easy decision.
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mad? wrote:Congratulations to your DD.

The schools are very similar in every sense. For you, the difference is the that one means up rooting your family and downsizing your property. I think it is an easy decision.
absolute agree with this
CuriousCat

Post by CuriousCat »

mad? wrote:Congratulations to your DD.

You just hit nail on the head! It is about uprooting and compromising with the house size et. But I think I am looking for assurance that by making the easy decision of sticking with Kendrick I wont be taking a good opportunity away from my daughter who as really worked hard. So overall experiences with both schools and their opinion would be greatly appreciated.
mad?

Post by mad? »

If you search for the schools on this forum you will find lots of feedback/threads about both of them. Parents are largely delighted with both. Kendrick is a wonderful opportunity, a DD will do as well at either school.
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you have to look at people in other parts of the country where there is maybe one GS only within a reasonable distance or no GS and only all-ability schools - the pupils do very well there and go on to Uni etc.

Would these children do better if their parents uprooted the family and moved to other GS ? probably not - but we can't run the experiment twice for the same child and you won't know ultimately if your DD would have done better at Kendrick, HBS or a comprehensive with a sixth form college
CuriousCat

Post by CuriousCat »

mad? wrote:If you search for the schools on this forum you will find lots of feedback/threads about both of them. Parents are largely delighted with both. Kendrick is a wonderful opportunity, a DD will do as well at either school.
Agree, Kendrick was our first priority when we thought HBS was out of our league. But now that she has performed well, thinking which on would be best for her. Time to flip a coin i think :-D
CuriousCat

Post by CuriousCat »

hermanmunster wrote:I think you have to look at people in other parts of the country where there is maybe one GS only within a reasonable distance or no GS and only all-ability schools - the pupils do very well there and go on to Uni etc.

Would these children do better if their parents uprooted the family and moved to other GS ? probably not - but we can't run the experiment twice for the same child and you won't know ultimately if your DD would have done better at Kendrick, HBS or a comprehensive with a sixth form college
You made a great point here. Also is it right that once you put a priority list on the CAF you cannot change it? So after Mar 1st if we want to change to 2nd priority school would that be entertained?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

CuriousCat wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:I think you have to look at people in other parts of the country where there is maybe one GS only within a reasonable distance or no GS and only all-ability schools - the pupils do very well there and go on to Uni etc.

You made a great point here. Also is it right that once you put a priority list on the CAF you cannot change it? So after Mar 1st if we want to change to 2nd priority school would that be entertained?
You can't change it BUT in many areas you can ask to go on the waiting list of a school you have listed lower the one you have been allocated, the list is held as per the oversubscription criterua - if you have a good score or are near enough or whatever the criteria is you would presumably be quite high up the list
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

What do you think she’ll get from HBS that she won’t from Kendrick?
Is that worth moving for?

In the whole scheme of things their performance is probably so similar it’s unlikely to make any difference to her, but moving away from sn area she knows (and has friends etc) and you know may be a huge difference to her and you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now