Leading secondary schools for oxbridge offers

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: Leading secondary schools for oxbridge offers

Post by mad? »

thisisnuts wrote:Interestingly, Oxford and Cambridge are the only two Unis with "n/a" in the Student Satisfaction column :!: :shock:
:shock: :lol:
mad?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

mad? wrote:
thisisnuts wrote:Interestingly, Oxford and Cambridge are the only two Unis with "n/a" in the Student Satisfaction column :!: :shock:

I think that's because, with the college system, any results would be meaningless. Students have relatively little experience of the entire university and all their experience really is of their college. So numbers would be so small for each college that they would struggle to be statistically significant and one unhappy person could skew things hugely. That's my take on it anyway.
I think you have to take student satisfaction with a bit of a pinch of salt anyway - apparently LSE students price themselves on having the lowest ratings in the country and therefore it becomes self fulfilling as they want to maintain that position
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

loobylou wrote:
mad? wrote:

I think that's because, with the college system, any results would be meaningless. Students have relatively little experience of the entire university and all their experience really is of their college. So numbers would be so small for each college that they would struggle to be statistically significant and one unhappy person could skew things hugely. That's my take on it anyway.
I think you have to take student satisfaction with a bit of a pinch of salt anyway - apparently LSE students price themselves on having the lowest ratings in the country and therefore it becomes self fulfilling as they want to maintain that position
My time at LSE long predates the NSS, but although I remember a few fellow students of the time with a rather odd - for want of a less unkind word - take on the world (both immediate and wider - head in hands time at the masters student seriously not ironically bemoaning the awful middle-class-ness of her neighbourhood due it being full of graduates :roll:), the 'let's make the LSE sound like the most awful place on the planet' thing really strikes me as rather immature (again for want of a less unkind word).

Although by all accounts, the place is now very much unlike it was in my day, so I suppose the NSS result may not all be orchestrated childishnes, but sadly the reputation for how its students treat the NSS might be masking the statements of those whose report of a poor experience is genuine.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

ToadMum wrote:head in hands time at the masters student seriously not ironically bemoaning the awful middle-class-ness of her neighbourhood due it being full of graduates :roll:)
Toadmum, is that a confession? :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

thisisnuts wrote:
ToadMum wrote:head in hands time at the masters student seriously not ironically bemoaning the awful middle-class-ness of her neighbourhood due it being full of graduates :roll:)
Toadmum, is that a confession? :lol:
Haha, nope, my own sort-of-postgrad (diploma, not masters) was a few years later from the rival establishment across the way. She was a year or two ahead of, educational progression-wise, although younger, as I'd done something else before going to university. There were quite a few not terribly well thought through comments around, but that probably hasn't changed much...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sonu17

Post by sonu17 »

QE have now published their 2023 University Destinations stats. I've summarized available data to get a feel of their students' preferred choices in recent times. Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, KCL, Warwick, LSE seem most popular. Looking beyond the individual choices, a key metric is: combined places secured in Top 10 universities. Almost 2/3rd of the cohort secured a place in Top 10 (using Guardian's latest rankings), which is commendable and differentiates QE from other grammar schools.

RankingUniversity201820192020202120222023
2Oxford1061312614
3Cambridge131827282830
----------------------------
Oxbridge232440403444
1St Andrews002010
4LSE11398125
5Imperial College London101615111518
6Bath686157
7Durham371100
8UCL151718311624
9Warwick25181041911
10Loughborough352230
Subtotal969810398105109
17Bristol5551064
23King's College London721291114
37Birmingham702211
59Nottingham18181891012
73Queen Mary, London4810657
USA001021
Other universities131314191922
Gap Year?1441721?
Total150158169170180170
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

They are indeed excellent destinations, however what really distinguishes QE is it's highly selective intake. It would be disappointing if it didn't take those children who are good at exams at 10 & make them good at exams at 16 & 18.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agree it would be very disappointing for all concerned if they failed to capitalise on the ability the children bring with them.

Curious re St Andrews - suspect they haven't worked out how to get places there - maybe not broad enough in exam subjects
Ann.kumar

Post by Ann.kumar »

It would be nice to see leaver destinations for those boys who have left ( or culled) before sixth form. Unfortunately it is hard to track.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

hermanmunster wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:46 pm Agree it would be very disappointing for all concerned if they failed to capitalise on the ability the children bring with them.

Curious re St Andrews - suspect they haven't worked out how to get places there - maybe not broad enough in exam subjects
DS nearly applied to St Andrews - for a course that would be 2 years in Scotland and 2 years in America.
Then he realised that it was a non-UCAS course, so full U.S. fees for 4 years :!: :!:

He wasn't aware of anyone else last year who even thought about it - which I think is due to a combination of subjects and distance.

Yes, 1 boy's gone to Harvard, but I don't think he's planning to come home once a term.