Selection Review or Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oakdene24

Re: Selection Review or Appeal?

Post by Oakdene24 »

Scarecrow wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:54 pm Hi Oakdene, my son went through a situation where he missed the pass mark by a lot but was eligible for a review (not Bucks though). We were shocked and didn't suspect that anything obvious had happened on the day, although looking back he may have marked the boxes in a way that the computer didn't scan the answers properly but we'll never know.

We submitted a review based on the lines of 'Mary's Review Letter' see section E32c. on the Q and A's. Basically there was overwhelming academic and intellectual evidence which made the review successful, and in turn gaining a place at the school.

So if you are reasonably confident of your daughter's abilities, and can get very good supporting evidence from her school with a clear trajectory of GDS and high achievements such as chess or maths champion, higher grades with music, leadership skills eg writing and making speeches etc you stand a good chance, reflecting her true abilities.

His class teacher used the phrase - 'he is a very able mathematician and exceeds FAR above expected standards'. I even included Year 2 SATS results with high attainment through years 4 onwards.

Fingers crossed you won't have to go through this!
Thank you so much for this. I've got a lot of reading to do over the next two weeks but I am genuinely grateful for all the help.
Mummyinaction

Post by Mummyinaction »

We are in Warwickshire have been advised to appeal
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Only some areas have a review process.
If you want to start a thread of your own when the time comes (you can't appeal until you've been refused a place on March 1st), it won't get lost amongst in another thread. It's best if you title it something like:
"Mummyinaction appeal Warwickshire 2024"
scary mum
Oakdene24

Post by Oakdene24 »

Hi all,

Thanks for those who have given a view on this. I met with the Head and Head of Year 6 today and they were very supportive. They said they weren't sure if they were allowed to say what her rating was in terms of the 1 to 4 for suitability but said they would be in very strong support as she has consistently performed etc. I have drafted the following letter (using Mary's appeal from the Q&A as a starter). Obviously I can't put the mark in yet as we don't know it but we can safely assume she has failed given the page turning fiasco. Any input on whether this is appropriate would be appreciated.

We would be grateful if you would consider this request for a review on behalf of our daughter, XXXXXXXXXXXX, as there is evidence to show that the test score of *** was not representative of her ability.

Academic Evidence
• Recommended as a 1 in terms of grammar school suitability
• “Very strongly” supported by the head teacher
• Consistently very high grades for achievement – graded GDS in reading in year 3, year 4 and year 5, GDS in maths in year 5 (EXS in years 3 and 4), and GDS in writing in years 3 and 4 (EXS in year 5)
• Predicted scaled scores of 111-120 in reading and maths for end of KS2, and “greater depth” for Writing.
• Top group for maths and English
• Winner of the county-wide Big Science Event, and school award for achievement in music in Year 5, House Captain in Year 6

Extenuating Circumstances
• During the exam, XXXXXXXXX was removed just before the end of paper one as, upon realising she had missed the final 2 pages, she became understandably upset (this was all logged by the invigilator). She was able to regain her composure over the break between papers and returned to sit the second paper. This accounts for her lower than expected score in the SPAG section of the paper

We hope you would be prepared to take the view that the evidence of academic ability and extenuating circumstances are sufficient to explain the shortfall in marks.

Thank you for taking the time to consider our case.

If she is wildly below the score we might not bother with a review, and we have some good comprehensives in the next county (3 miles from us) which we are likely to choose instead so not a crisis by any means. It's just a) she is suitable for a grammar school and b) there is a good one 0.75 miles away!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We would be grateful if you would consider this request for a review on behalf of our daughter, XXXXXXXXXXXX, as there is evidence to show that the test score of *** was not representative of her ability.

Academic Evidence
• Consistently very high grades for achievement – graded GDS in reading in year 3, year 4 and year 5, GDS in maths in year 5 (EXS in years 3 and 4), and GDS in writing in years 3 and 4 (EXS in year 5)
• Predicted scaled scores of 111-120 in reading and maths for end of KS2, and “greater depth” for Writing.
• Winner of the county-wide Big Science Event, and school award for achievement in music in Year 5, House Captain in Year 6

• During the exam, XXXXXXXXX was removed just before the end of paper one as, upon realising she had missed the final 2 pages, she became understandably upset (this was all logged by the invigilator). She was able to regain her composure over the break between papers and returned to sit the second paper. This accounts for her lower than expected score in the SPAG section of the paper

We hope you would be prepared to take the view that the evidence of academic ability and extenuating circumstances are sufficient to explain the shortfall in marks.

I would omit "House Captain" as it's irrelevant. The issue is academic suitability, not "She's the sort of person who has a lot to contribute".

Otherwise it looks fine.
To be honest, what really matters is what the school writes. The panel may have concerns about "GDS in writing in years 3 and 4 (EXS in year 5)", unless the headteacher can explain the jump from EXS in Y5 to the prediction of GDS at KS2. The panel will wonder if it is based on some hard evidence, or is the school giving the benefit of the doubt because she was GDS previously, and with luck might be so again?
Etienne
Oakdene24

Post by Oakdene24 »

Ok, so the results are in and she got 112. She missed 2 pages of paper one (which she said was spelling). The scores were 94 for verbal, 133 for maths and 130 for non-verbal. I don't know what the missed questions would equate to but she did significantly better on the other 2 sections (which carry less weight), we think she'd have passed if she'd completed it. Unfortunately I have no experience if this so I don't know if this is true. Any input or experience would be appreciated.

Our selection review letter will read:

We would be grateful if you would consider this request for a review on behalf of our daughter, XXXXXXXXXXXX, as there is evidence to show that the test score of 112 was not representative of her ability.

Academic Evidence
• Predicted scaled scores of 111-120 in reading and maths for end of KS2, and “greater depth” for Writing
- assessed reading age of 16 years
• Winner of the county-wide Big Science Event, and school award for achievement in music in Year 5

• During the exam, XXXXXXXXX was removed just before the end of paper one as, upon realising she had missed the final 2 pages, she became understandably upset (this was logged by the invigilator during the examination). She was able to regain her composure over the break between papers and returned to sit the second paper. This accounts for her lower than expected score in the verbal section of the paper.

We hope you would be prepared to take the view that the evidence of high academic ability and extenuating circumstances, as well as her good scores in maths and non-verbal during the exam, are sufficient to explain the shortfall in marks.

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid the chances of a successful review/appeal with a score of 112 aren't high. Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be less than honest with you.

If the primary school did yearly CAT or NFER VR tests, with daughter regularly scoring (say) 125 or higher, you might have rather a good case to counteract the STTS VR of 94. I'm guessing that unfortunately you don't have that sort of evidence. Some schools do regular CAT or NFER tests, but most probably don't.

Your letter of appeal looks fine, but as I've written further up, the panel's focus will be on what the school writes, and they may have concerns about "GDS in writing in years 3 and 4 (EXS in year 5)", unless the headteacher can explain convincingly the jump from EXS in Y5 to the prediction of GDS at KS2. We know from many other cases that this can be a problem. The panel will wonder if the prediction is based on some hard evidence, or is the school giving the benefit of the doubt because she was GDS previously, and with luck might be so again?
Etienne
Oakdene24

Post by Oakdene24 »

Thanks for the honesty. I'll prepare her for being unsuccessful then.
Mummyinaction

Post by Mummyinaction »

Wishing you the best of luck, all you can do is try hoping it goes in your favour x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'll prepare her for being unsuccessful then.
I think that would be good advice for everyone.
Most reviews/appeals are probably not going to succeed.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now