Selection Review or Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oakdene24

Re: Selection Review or Appeal?

Post by Oakdene24 »

Evening all.

Got the head teachers form today and it's amazing. I now frankly couldn't give two hoots if she succeeds at review as I'm so proud of her! They also mention her page turning blip and in my statement to further explain.

But for reference they do have NFER scores and all of the below is included:

NFER Age Stanardised Data Summer 2023 (Y5):
SPAG 125
Maths 137
Reading 141

NFER Age Stanardised Data Summer 2022 (Y4):
SPAG 133
Maths 126
Reading 141

NFER Age Stanardised Data Summer 2021 (Y3):
SPAG N/A Year group didn't complete
Maths 126
Reading 121

Multiplication Times Tables check Y4
24/25

Phonics Screening Check Y1
38/40

She's recommended as a 1:1, and this line is included:

...I wholeheartedly believe that without this incident, which is out of character for xxxxx, her
performance in the test would have matched our 1:1 recommendation.

They list a whole page of her achievements and it ends with this:

Xxxxxxs attainment and progress across the school has always been on a Greater Depth
trajectory/ pathway. Her consistent application in assessments is seen in the KS2 NFER results
where it is evident she is working at greater depth and is suitable for the Grammar School system.

All of the above indicate her academic achievements and aptitude are incredibly well matched to the Grammar School ethos and standards. I highly recommend xxxxxx without any reservation whatsoever to the panel; I know she will thrive and be an asset at a Grammar setting.

Could I be any prouder???

We'll go for review anyway but I know she will be an asset to any school, and will continue to be an absolute STAR ⭐
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

go for it: you’ve given her the best chance you can, and that head teacher support does sound pretty stellar.

As Etienne says, the chances of success with a general score aren’t great, but those scores are pretty clear that she’s a high achiever and so hopefully the panel will combine that with the head teachers report and exenuating circs and be sympathetic.

Having been here last year, I can tell you the wait will feel like an age, but if it’s successful it will be worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Oakdene24

Post by Oakdene24 »

Thank you for all your input and support. I'm submitting a letter today, based on a template letter of Mary's review, but with some added blurb about the page turning fiasco. I've also written something along the lines of "we'd respectfully suggest that if she'd completed 100% of paper one, rather than 75%, her score (based on what she achieved doing 75%) would have been a minimum of 125, therefore achieving a qualifying score." I hope that's ok!

It is what it is, but like I said, grammar school or not, she'll do fabulously.
Oakdene24

Post by Oakdene24 »

Submitted today, so now we'll sit and wait a few months!

In terms of the outcome, do you get a plain yes or no, or do they provide you with their reasoning?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Oakdene24 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:46 pm Submitted today, so now we'll sit and wait a few months!

In terms of the outcome, do you get a plain yes or no, or do they provide you with their reasoning?
Members on the forum have previously discussed the reasons they were given for an unsuccessful review.
I don't recall any detailed comments about successful reviews.
Etienne
Rags

Post by Rags »

Our successful Bucks review letter (back in 2015, mind) gave no indication of any of the reasoning behind the decision. it said "We are pleased to tell you that the review was successful."
And that the child was therefore eligible to considered for a grammar school in the first round, etc.

No details.

It seems that HT support and academic evidence are the main drivers.

Good luck.
Oakdene24

Post by Oakdene24 »

Thank you. That's helpful to know.
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

We got a simple email saying that our review was successful and that our child's mark will be amended to the pass mark. Our child was then put in the pool of those who passed and then allocated a place using the oversubscription criteria ie going down the list of 'Looked after Children' as a priority until they reached those who were in the catchment area etc.
EvilBus

Post by EvilBus »

While I empathise with the DC trying hard and not passing, isn’t the page turning blip a mistake that the DC is responsible for. The parent who gives “two hoots” about whether the DC gets into a GS has then gone through the rigmarole of ensuring they somehow get it up for selection review. This means another child, through no fault of their own, would possibly be deprived of their rightful place. A bit confused on how this is justified. Please note I am not being mean, I just can’t get my head around this.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but the point of a review is to say whether a child did not do as well on the day as expected, for whatever reason. This then puts them in the same position as any other child who achieved a qualifying score on the day.
scary mum