How to prepare for KES edgbaston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sak101

How to prepare for KES edgbaston

Post by Sak101 »

Hello all,
My son is sitting for the KES Edgbaston exam on saturday.
He has recently taken the 11+ exam so we are just relying on the 11+ knowledge along with a little creative writing practice.
Just wanted to know how many questions to expect in maths section.Also apart from practicing the KES sample paper we haven't really done much.
I am now feeling he is going a little under prepared for the test.
Any last minute suggestions please.
Rhubarb369

Re: How to prepare for KES edgbaston

Post by Rhubarb369 »

Hello
I’m interested in how the KES exam compared to the 11+. How did your son find it in the end? I’ve heard some people say it’s harder to get in than a grammar, is that what you found?
It would be really helpful if anyone could post their KES score and 11+ score and any comments.
Thankyou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Rhubarb369 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:06 am Hello
I’m interested in how the KES exam compared to the 11+. How did your son find it in the end? I’ve heard some people say it’s harder to get in than a grammar, is that what you found?
It would be really helpful if anyone could post their KES score and 11+ score and any comments.
Thankyou
I suspect the KES exam is "different" and therefore some will find it easier and others harder than the 11 plus. KES won't give out scores so not possible to compare. Am sure some people will be able to indicate whether they had an offer of a place at KES and what their 11 plus score was if they took it
Rhubarb369

Post by Rhubarb369 »

Thankyou, yes I agree, if there’s creative writing that’s a big difference to the 11+.
Hopefully some posters will be able to comment.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

@Rhubarb369 I only have anecdata - no direct experience.

A couple of years ago, a friend's DS passed the 11 plus, but not with a high enough mark to receive any offers. However, he got into KES.

He had tutoring for the 11 plus and (separately) tutoring in creative writing for the KES exam.

I would agree with @hermanmunster that it is just different.
Rhubarb369

Post by Rhubarb369 »

Thanks for that- I hadn’t considered creative writing coaching but that might be a good idea as that’ll be his weakness.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Rhubarb369 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:05 pm Thanks for that- I hadn’t considered creative writing coaching but that might be a good idea as that’ll be his weakness.

have a look at the sample papers they have - the one thing I remember one of the staff at KEHS telling me (years after I left as a pupil :lol: ) was they looked for potential and could spot eg over-prepped writing a mile off - suspect the main thing is to make sure they follow the instructions!
This leaflet consists of lined paper on which to complete a piece of writing. You probably
won’t fill the leaflet: we aren’t expecting you to. If you do fill it, put your hand up and ask
the teacher at the front for some more paper. Put any extra paper you use inside this leaflet
when you hand it in. Most candidates usually write about one and a half pages: but quality is
more important than quantity. In the last few minutes, check your work carefully for errors
of spelling and punctuation.
Try to make your writing vivid and interesting. Remember to write in PARAGRAPHS, and
to punctuate the ends of sentences properly. Remember that DIALOGUE (characters
talking to one another) often helps to make a story more dramatic, and that
DESCRIPTIONS allow the reader to picture your scene in detail.

Boys sometimes come to this exam with a composition which they have
learned by heart. You must write about the subject described in this box. If
you write about another subject, which you have prepared in advance, you
will be given a much lower mark. :

Here is your subject:

You are a First World War British soldier. During an attack, you become stranded in a shellcrater in No Man’s Land: you are not badly wounded, but you cannot get back to the British
trenches for fear of being shot if you leave the crater. Then a German soldier falls into the
same crater along with you. Like you, he is tired and frightened but not badly wounded: he
also cannot get back to his own side. The two of you are not going to fight; in fact, if it
were not for the war you could have been friends.
What happens?
Rhubarb369

Post by Rhubarb369 »

My daughter would have loved this!! I think my son might be a bit lost tbh.
Thanks for sharing, so helpful to see what it’s like.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now