Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum
Posts: 8755
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by scary mum »

Please read all the following before posting about the results.

Issuing of results

1. If the test was taken by 01 October 2023, the result should be available by email (Bucks schools, partnership schools & out of county) on Friday 13 October (late afternoon). If the test was taken between 01 October and 21 October 2023 the results will be received on 31 October 2023.

For children who attend a state funded Buckinghamshire primary school you will receive a letter advising you how to access your child's results.
For children who attend out of county and Partner schools the results will be sent by email.
If you appear not to receive your email, please remember to check your junk folder.

2. The results will give you your child's Secondary Transfer Test Score (STTS). It will also tell you what your child scored in the verbal, mathematical and non-verbal sections of the test. It will say whether the STTS qualifies your child for grammar school admission.

3. Further information is available on the Council's website. The relevant page is here.
Scroll down the page for useful information including:

What the results mean

Understanding your options

If your child did not qualify

Scores above 121

4. Every year there are a number of people living a long way from Bucks who come on to the forum asking whether, with a score of 140, they stand a better chance of a place!
The flat qualifying mark will be 121, as it has been for time immemorial. All children achieving 121 or more are eligible for a place at a Bucks grammar school, depending upon the remaining admissions criteria for their preferred school such as distance. It makes absolutely no difference to the application process whether your child has scored 121 or 140 (or even higher!).
There are a small number of places available at the schools for pupils either eligible for pupil premium or currently in receipt of free school meals who have scored below 121. The minimum score accepted, number of places, eligibility, means of applying and criteria for allocation vary by school but are described in the schools' admission policies, you are advised to read these carefully if you are in this situation. Any questions, please ask on this thread.

5. Since it makes no difference to the application process whether your child has scored 121 or 140, please do not post scores above 121! It is not necessary. On this forum it is viewed as boasting.
We are sadly familiar with some parents coming on to the forum to make their one and only post to announce that their precious child achieved fifty zillion marks. We don't want to know that, and any such posts will be edited or removed.

By all means share your good news and happiness with us, but all you need say is "My child has qualified".

6. Read, and make sure you understand, the admission rules for each of the schools you wish to apply for.

7. Complete a CAF form for the Local Authority where you live, and submit it by the published deadline.

Support for those who've scored below 121

8. Please show kindness and sensitivity towards those who have not received the result they hoped for. There is nothing more unedifying than the spectacle of parents whose children have qualified whooping for joy in the presence of those who are not so lucky.

9. If you are among those with a non-qualifying score, but nevertheless think there is academic evidence to show that a grammar school place would be appropriate, we will do whatever we can to support you.
First of all, it is in your interests to be as well-informed as possible about reviews and appeals, but there is no easy short cut. Please do lots of reading before asking questions on the forum. Start here.

10. Note that, for a successful review or appeal, extenuating circumstances (such as illness) are very unlikely on their own to be sufficient. Strong academic evidence of grammar school suitability will be needed.

11. Please be aware that, if you opt for a review, and are unsuccessful, this could seriously prejudice an appeal, because any subsequent appeal can only be considered if the Appeal Panel decide that your review was not "fair, consistent and objective". You have been warned! For further information follow the link in point 11 above. Last year most reviews were found to have been "fair, consistent and objective".

Try not to raise your child's expectations with regard to a review or appeal.

12. To be realistic, most reviews/appeals aren't going to succeed. You don't want your child pinning all their hopes on a successful outcome because the sense of rejection at being 'turned down' again can be so very upsetting. The less you say about reviews/appeals at home, probably the better. Play down the possibility of a favourable decision. 'Big up' the likely alternative school.
Appeals, in particular, are a long way off (in the summer term), and some parents - wisely - don't even let on that they are appealing!

Questions

13. General questions and news are welcome on this thread, but if you have specific questions about your own case for review/appeal you must please start your own thread on the Appeals forum. We can do a much better job of helping you if all the information about your case is in one place in your own thread on the Appeals forum.
The Appeals forum can be found here.
Please name your thread:
"[user name]'s case (Bucks)"

Many children who've not qualified at 11+ go on to be successful

14. Please do not say "My child has failed." He/she may not have got a qualifying score on one particular day in the autumn term of Y6, but many in this situation go on to be outstandingly successful.
"It's ok to not to succeed. Not succeeding does not shape your personality; it's how you react ...... Do you dust yourself off and mope or do you dust yourself off and come back stronger the next time? Eventually you will win. It may not happen the next time, it may take a little time but you will win in the end."
“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again.”
For words of encouragement from those who have been through the experience of non-qualification in the 11+ (as well as an unsuccessful review/appeal) see here.


• Remember that you are very welcome to post your news on this thread as it arrives, provided that scores above 121 are not stated.

• For specific help with your review/appeal, use the Appeals forum.

• Don't hesitate to state a score below 121 on the Appeals forum - it could well be a significant part of the case. (It is scores above 121 that we don't need to know about.)

• Our very best wishes to everyone anxiously waiting.


scary mum
scary mum
CuriousClog
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:37 pm

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by CuriousClog »

Results out now
All the best to everyone !
aylesburyduck
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by aylesburyduck »

DD qualified. So relieved after the awful summer she had with so many migraines. Feel like an actual physical weight has lifted.
Kendrick_mum
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by Kendrick_mum »

I know pass marks is 121. Do we also know what's the total marks out of which they scored X?
hermanmunster
Posts: 12522
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 am
Location: The Seaside

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by hermanmunster »

Kendrick_mum wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:36 pm I know pass marks is 121. Do we also know what's the total marks out of which they scored X?
There isn't a figure that is "out of" as the whole score is standardised to age etc
Obsidian82
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:27 pm

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by Obsidian82 »

My son passed! So happy for him!

Sorry to those that didn't. I can imagine how upsetting it would be after every childs hard work.
aray001
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:53 am

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by aray001 »

Kendrick_mum wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:36 pm I know pass marks is 121. Do we also know what's the total marks out of which they scored X?
The Buckinghamshire council says the score can be between 0 to 180.
However, in reality none scores 0, never heard of it.
Similarly, in 2021 Bucks 11+ exam, highest score achieved was 170 (lowest : 49)
So, I think it is safe to assume it is out of 170.
ToadMum
Posts: 11830
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by ToadMum »

aray001 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:52 pm
Kendrick_mum wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:36 pm I know pass marks is 121. Do we also know what's the total marks out of which they scored X?
The Buckinghamshire council says the score can be between 0 to 180.
However, in reality none scores 0, never heard of it.
Similarly, in 2021 Bucks 11+ exam, highest score achieved was 170 (lowest : 49)
So, I think it is safe to assume it is out of 170.
As hermanmunster stated, the score you are given is standardised score - 170 (or 180, or whatever) may be the maximum reported score that applying the standardisation calculation produces for the highest combination of raw score and age-adjustment, but it isn't the 'full marks' that 121 is 'out of'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
aray001
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:53 am

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by aray001 »

ToadMum wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:12 pm
aray001 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:52 pm
Kendrick_mum wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:36 pm I know pass marks is 121. Do we also know what's the total marks out of which they scored X?
The Buckinghamshire council says the score can be between 0 to 180.
However, in reality none scores 0, never heard of it.
Similarly, in 2021 Bucks 11+ exam, highest score achieved was 170 (lowest : 49)
So, I think it is safe to assume it is out of 170.
As hermanmunster stated, the score you are given is standardised score - 170 (or 180, or whatever) may be the maximum reported score that applying the standardisation calculation produces for the highest combination of raw score and age-adjustment, but it isn't the 'full marks' that 121 is 'out of'.
I get that. I find it too boring how everyone keeps repeating the same language over the years that it is only 121 that matters and nothing else, how 11 plus performance makes no meaning.

If some parent wants to know how good his/her child did in the exam, what is the harm ? Afterall, every parent coming to this forum are competitive and wants their child to excel academically.

Hence, I provided the information that would help her to judge the relative performance of her child, that is why I think she is asking what the total is, technicalities are not that important.
hermanmunster
Posts: 12522
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 am
Location: The Seaside

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by hermanmunster »

aray001 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:59 pm
ToadMum wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:12 pm
aray001 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:52 pm

The Buckinghamshire council says the score can be between 0 to 180.
However, in reality none scores 0, never heard of it.
Similarly, in 2021 Bucks 11+ exam, highest score achieved was 170 (lowest : 49)
So, I think it is safe to assume it is out of 170.
As hermanmunster stated, the score you are given is standardised score - 170 (or 180, or whatever) may be the maximum reported score that applying the standardisation calculation produces for the highest combination of raw score and age-adjustment, but it isn't the 'full marks' that 121 is 'out of'.
I get that. I find it too boring how everyone keeps repeating the same language over the years that it is only 121 that matters and nothing else, how 11 plus performance makes no meaning.

If some parent wants to know how good his/her child did in the exam, what is the harm ? Afterall, every parent coming to this forum are competitive and wants their child to excel academically.

Hence, I provided the information that would help her to judge the relative performance of her child, that is why I think she is asking what the total is, technicalities are not that important.
I am sorry that we are too boring @aray001 .

Fortunately not all parents are highly competitive and in many cases excelling academically is of secondary importance. My children would have no problem excelling, however we were not competitive as children's happiness, confidence, friendships and contentment is far more important
Post Reply
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now