Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Aethel

Re: Results 2023 (please do not post scores above 121 (see point 5)

Post by Aethel »

aylesburyduck wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:56 pm DD qualified. So relieved after the awful summer she had with so many migraines. Feel like an actual physical weight has lifted.
I’m very glad to hear that, AylesburyDuck, well done to your DD!

<waves a tattered banner from the child-with-migraine camp>
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

But Aray001, the purpose of sitting the 11 plus exam in Buckinghamshire is for one reason alone: to give our children the chance to apply and get a place in a Bucks Grammar school.

If they get an “elegible” grade (121 or above) then they can apply. (some nearly-there children who have a successful Selection Review also get put into the “elegible” bucket too.

it makes no difference at all whether their grade was 120-and then-successful Review, 122, or 168-utter-genius-child.

once they’re in the grammar school they are all treated equally and they all do as well as they can, and hopefully thrive there.

so it’s not “boring” at all. just a simple fact that for
Bucks the scores do not matter in the slightest.

You might want to head over to look at the boards for Slough, or Reading/Kendrick. Those discussions are completely different and do involve scores, as they have many score based places.Some folks travel miles from Bucks/Berkshire to the Slough schools. Might be more your kind of thing?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think there is little to show that there is any correlation between 11 plus score & academic achievement so it is simply boasting. In Bucks all children are considered equal if they have qualified for grammar school.
From my own family (anecdata I know!), the child with the highest 11 plus score has done the least well academically.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

aray001 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:59 pm

I get that. I find it too boring how everyone keeps repeating the same language over the years that it is only 121 that matters and nothing else, how 11 plus performance makes no meaning.

If some parent wants to know how good his/her child did in the exam, what is the harm ? Afterall, every parent coming to this forum are competitive and wants their child to excel academically.

Hence, I provided the information that would help her to judge the relative performance of her child, that is why I think she is asking what the total is, technicalities are not that important.
Well, the Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools obviously don't find the concept of simply qualifying or not boring, since any year they like, they can consult on the intention of changing admissions policies to include score ranking - and yet they never seem to want to.

Can't your DC compate their scores with the other pupils in their class at a playmate in the park at the weekend, or something? Or you could swap private messages with other forum members, or other parents in your local FB group?

There's nothing to stop you discussing scores with people in other settings; it's just on this area forum that the etiquette forbids it.

(It's still a standardised score, though).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SKrishna

Post by SKrishna »

hermanmunster wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:02 pm
aray001 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:59 pm
ToadMum wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:12 pm

As hermanmunster stated, the score you are given is standardised score - 170 (or 180, or whatever) may be the maximum reported score that applying the standardisation calculation produces for the highest combination of raw score and age-adjustment, but it isn't the 'full marks' that 121 is 'out of'.
I get that. I find it too boring how everyone keeps repeating the same language over the years that it is only 121 that matters and nothing else, how 11 plus performance makes no meaning.

If some parent wants to know how good his/her child did in the exam, what is the harm ? Afterall, every parent coming to this forum are competitive and wants their child to excel academically.

Hence, I provided the information that would help her to judge the relative performance of her child, that is why I think she is asking what the total is, technicalities are not that important.
I am sorry that we are too boring @aray001 .

Fortunately not all parents are highly competitive and in many cases excelling academically is of secondary importance. My children would have no problem excelling, however we were not competitive as children's happiness, confidence, friendships and contentment is far more important
I couldn't agree more! Trying to be the top dog can sometimes mess things up. It's not cool when kids get overloaded with pressure to get into super hard-to-get-into schools. Some kids are just naturally smart and rock all the exams without breaking a sweat, while others are pushed super hard. I get that parents mean well, but may not be for everyone. We need to find a balance. Wilsons is one of those top super-selective schools, and I'm impressed they keep the scores a secret after the final selection. To them, all 180 kids are on the same level.
Kar

Post by Kar »

Hi

My child passed 11 plus lives 1 mile from Aylesbury grammar school, still need to wait till March if he gets a space or not on his first choice...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Living one mile away things would have to change a huge amount for him not to get a place.
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Kar wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:43 pm Hi

My child passed 11 plus lives 1 mile from Aylesbury grammar school, still need to wait till March if he gets a space or not on his first choice...
congrats to your child! you should be okay with that one. Put some backups on the CAF (both grammar and non selective) in places 2-4 just in case.
Kitch01

Post by Kitch01 »

DS scored 117. He is out of county but in catchment for 1 Bucks Gtmrammar . He has consistently had GD from yr1 in English and Maths with standardised scores of between 112-127 in maths and 126-127 for English. However writing had always been at expected level- will this be much of a stumbling block in a selection review? Just trying to manage our expectations! Thank you.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Kitch01 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:22 pm DS scored 117. He is out of county but in catchment for 1 Bucks Gtmrammar . He has consistently had GD from yr1 in English and Maths with standardised scores of between 112-127 in maths and 126-127 for English. However writing had always been at expected level- will this be much of a stumbling block in a selection review? Just trying to manage our expectations! Thank you.
There is lots of information in the appeals section FAQ - have a look at this and then if you have any further questions, you might want to start your own thread in appeals. Good luck.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now