Lexi78 Selection review advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lexi78

Lexi78 Selection review advice

Post by Lexi78 »

Hi all, my daughter has scored 120(.5) in her 11+ bucks test. I’m absolutely gutted for her as she’s worked so hard and wanted to pass so badly. She wants me to do a selection review and I will speak to the school tomorrow. My question is do you think her verbal score is too low to be accepted at review?
VR 105
Maths 125
NVR 147
No extenuating circumstances. I expect it was the spellings as this is not her strong point.
Year 5 report is glowing but only expected level for everything.
Do we stand a chance and what should I write? Any help gratefully received.
scary mum

Re: Lexi78 Selection review advice

Post by scary mum »

I'm going to move this to Appeals & have amended to title to distinguish thread from others.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Lexi78 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:46 pm Hi all, my daughter has scored 120(.5) in her 11+ bucks test. I’m absolutely gutted for her as she’s worked so hard and wanted to pass so badly. She wants me to do a selection review and I will speak to the school tomorrow. My question is do you think her verbal score is too low to be accepted at review?
VR 105
Maths 125
NVR 147
No extenuating circumstances. I expect it was the spellings as this is not her strong point.
Year 5 report is glowing but only expected level for everything.
Do we stand a chance and what should I write? Any help gratefully received.
Welcome!

Please read the Q&As first, and then come back with any questions.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... aneous#e32
Etienne
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

Hi thank you.

Yes I read through this earlier. I have no idea how she has performed in any tests at school or even what tests they have done as they don’t share this information with us. Obviously I will be asking for this tomorrow when I speak to them.
Do you think if the school back her she stands a chance with 105 for verbal or will they look at it and dismiss it straight away for being too low?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Year 5 report is glowing but only expected level for everything
If you've read the Q&As, you will know that 'expected level' could be a problem.

Do you think if the school back her she stands a chance with 105 for verbal or will they look at it and dismiss it straight away for being too low?
I think they will look at your alternative academic evidence before making up their mind.
For example, if the primary school did yearly CAT or NFER VR tests, with daughter regularly scoring (say) 125 or higher, you might have rather a good case to counteract the STTS VR of 105. (Some schools do regular CAT or NFER tests, but most probably don't.)
Or, if she had been consistently working at greater depth in English, this might help.
Etienne
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

Thank you. I won’t get her hopes up then. It doesn’t sound promising. I doubt they do those tests but I will certainly ask tomorrow and try and find out what tests they have done and where she is. She was so close I’m so sad for her.
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

Hi again. We have the completed HT form and she has done a great job for my daughter.
She has changed end of year 5 from expected to GDS for reading and maths as her NFER results were not reflected in her end of year report. I think she might be speaking to the teacher as it looks like she’s not really bothered doing it properly and just ticked expected for everything.
NFER -
reading 132
Maths 140
GPS 122

The HT has added in the various roles of responsibility my daughter has in school and her sport outside of school. She also made reference to the verbal score being lower than they would have expected for her. She said she loves to learn and enjoys challenge and would thrive at grammar school.

My question is do we just put why we feel she would excel in a grammar school, should we also reference to the low verbal score or leave it alone as the HT has done this already and are there any children that actually get through without extenuating circumstances? I feel like everyone has a reason as to why their child didn’t make the 121 and we don’t.

Many thanks for any help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Lexi78 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 am We have the completed HT form and she has done a great job for my daughter.
Good - although "the various roles of responsibility my daughter has in school and her sport outside of school" is completely irrelevant for a review! :?

My question is do we just put why we feel she would excel in a grammar school
Why not use the template in the Q&As?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... aneous#e32

- but to be honest, nothing you write in this case is likely to make much difference - certainly not why you feel she would excel.
The panel will focus on hard academic evidence from the school.

should we also reference to the low verbal score or leave it alone as the HT has done this already
I would leave it.

and are there any children that actually get through without extenuating circumstances?
Yes, it happens.
Etienne
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

Thank you so much for your reply.

Re the extra things like sport and being a mind mentor… I think she was just trying to add that she was a well rounded character.
Hopefully her academic evidence will be enough to take her through 🤞
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

good luck: my DS got 120.5 last year with a similar profile dropping the Verbal score (spellings are his weak point too)

It’s great that you have a supportive Head report and those NFER scores will be useful too as they show hard evodence if capability: hope it’s enough!

I think a lot of Heads put in extra “character” information on their statements automatically even though it’s not what the panel are looking for: my DS is a keen musician even though that doesn’t “count” for academic review it was still in the HT statement!

fingers crossed for a good outcome for you: the wait seems like an age but if your DC does get a successful outcome it will be SO worth it as they are considered for places with all the regular passes ie before the school is full.

Let us know how it goes!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now