Lexi78 Selection review advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lexi78

Re: Lexi78 Selection review advice

Post by Lexi78 »

Aethel wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:17 pm good luck: my DS got 120.5 last year with a similar profile dropping the Verbal score (spellings are his weak point too)

It’s great that you have a supportive Head report and those NFER scores will be useful too as they show hard evodence if capability: hope it’s enough!

I think a lot of Heads put in extra “character” information on their statements automatically even though it’s not what the panel are looking for: my DS is a keen musician even though that doesn’t “count” for academic review it was still in the HT statement!

fingers crossed for a good outcome for you: the wait seems like an age but if your DC does get a successful outcome it will be SO worth it as they are considered for places with all the regular passes ie before the school is full.

Let us know how it goes!
Thank you I will! 🙏

Was your son successful?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

yes he was (threads are on here as Etienne was very helpful and supportive throughout). he’s now y7 at BGS and enjoying it very much.

Quite a few 120-point- something Bucks children are clearly capable and fall foul of the many out of area candidates (hundreds every year) who sit the Bucks exam either for practice or because their parents enter them for numerous areas ready to do a “rapid-move” into cachement at the last minute if they pass. (we are just outside cachement but have lived on the border for since DS was a baby so I’m not counting myself as an “exam tourist”, more a slight interloper!

the out of area skew has the effect of pushing the raw pass-mark-bar higher and many Bucks or edge-of-Bucks-local candidates are nudged just under a passing mark like we were.

the panel are aware of this discrepency, and so the closer to 121 the child is, if their academic evidence is that they would otherwise be grammar suitable,they try to make a decision that is fair. Obviously there are no guarantees. even at 120 there are children who don’t have a successful review. A lot of schools just aren’t set up for the exidence that helps (ours didn’t do PIrA and PUMa scores, for example).

but take heart that the closer your DC is to 121, thebhigher theirn hances.It may yet all work out, and if it does you’ll know on 1st March like everyone else, DC gets to do the induction days, etc.
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

Aw that’s great to hear.

Yes it’s so annoying that people get their children to take the test as practice etc or have no hope of getting a place as they are miles away. Bucks county council really need to do something about it so others that have lived her all our life have a chance!

In our area only around 20% of children pass I think, where as south bucks is double that.

Hopefully being so close to the pass mark, her NFER scores, along with a good recommendation from the head teacher she will be ok! 🤞 The other schools are not very good around here but we are where we are.

I have to do this all again next year with child number 2! 😭 I’ve told him to knuckle down and get a glowing end of year 5 report. Thankfully my best behaved child was first! 😂
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

Hi I just wanted to update in case anyone else is in a similar situation later this year. My daughter had a successful selection review. She’s over the moon and I’m so happy for her. My son will sit the test this September so no let up for me! 🤦‍♀️

Many thanks for the replies on this post.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That is great news Lexi78!
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

oh Lexi, that’s fantastic news!
Well done to your Dd and well done to you for supporting and advocating for her!
It’s such a complex situation but has worked out for you, as DD now goes into the “passed” pile for the March 1st allocations.
I do hope you get the school she wants.

Good luck for your DS this September (and then unless you have more DC, you’re done and dusted hopefully!)
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

hermanmunster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:32 pm That is great news Lexi78!
Thank you 😊
Lexi78

Post by Lexi78 »

Aethel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:45 pm oh Lexi, that’s fantastic news!
Well done to your Dd and well done to you for supporting and advocating for her!
It’s such a complex situation but has worked out for you, as DD now goes into the “passed” pile for the March 1st allocations.
I do hope you get the school she wants.

Good luck for your DS this September (and then unless you have more DC, you’re done and dusted hopefully!)
Thank you! 😊 we are 1.1 miles from AHS which is where she so desperately wants to go so I think we will be ok.

My son is the last one! Just got to get him to knuckle down now as he is not nearly as compliant as my daughter, but definitely able.
I’m glad I know in advance that the school’s recommendation carries so much weight, so I am on his case for this year to get a glowing report!

Really hoping not to get through this again.

Many thanks xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now