We have been shortlisted for the National Tutoring Awards 2024! If Eleven Plus Exams has helped you, we would like to ask for your support, by voting for us in the People’s Choice Awards.

What happens during the exam and what can they take in?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mushypeaslooe

What happens during the exam and what can they take in?

Post by mushypeaslooe »

Hiya, my DD has the Stockport entrance exam in January.

We are running practice exams at home and I wondered what the set up was in the real 11+ exam as we started too late to go to a practice test centre.

She has a clear pencil case, foldable ruler, pencils and rubber and I'm letting her have scrap paper. The school has said they are allowed a ruler, pencils and rubber and they'll send more information out in January.

Do you know if they are allowed a drink in an exam?

Do you know if they get told when they have 20 minutes to go etc., or do they have to work it out themselves?

Are the clocks analogue or digital, or can it vary?

Thanks v much :)
Swirl

Re: What happens during the exam and what can they take in?

Post by Swirl »

I can't answer for the school you're interested in but in our case the rules were very strict. The standard CSSE 11+ exam was a bit more relaxed and my child could take a clear pencil case with a pencil, a pen and a rubber as well as a clear plastic bottle of water. Rules for the CEM exam were very strict - my child wasn't allowed to bring in anything other than a pencil and a rubber; no water, scrap paper or anything else was allowed. No analogue watches were allowed and we were told to take away any bulkier jumpers (it was a cold day).

There was an analogue clock in the exam room. I don't remember about time reminders for the CSSE exam but they didn't get any for the CEM (it's fast paced and the children have only a few minutes to complete shorter tests). I would think time management may be one of the skills that's tested and I wouldn't be surprised if the children have to monitor their own time.

So I guess it'll depend on the school and the exam provider.

Good luck to your DD.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I doubt they would be allowed a drink in the exam - might spill on the paper. No exam is that long that they need a drink - most likely warning is one or five minutes but there may be no warning at all and DC should be ready for this.

Most crucial thing though is to make sure your DC listens to the instructions - there are always some children who have been told that X will happen and when it doesn't it causes problems. Get the them to listen to what they are told at the beginning !
mushypeaslooe

Post by mushypeaslooe »

Hi both, thank you very much for your guidance.

Will take note about no water and practice more on keeping track of time.

Good point about listening too!

Thanks
Swirl

Post by Swirl »

mushypeaslooe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:42 pm Good point about listening too!
Listen and answer all the questions! Sometimes children skip questions and forget to return. A clever guess can be worth a point.
mushypeaslooe

Post by mushypeaslooe »

Thank you :) I've been saying to her to answer every question! A guess is always a potential point.