Selection Review - school did not send out summary sheet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lorelaigilmore

Selection Review - school did not send out summary sheet

Post by lorelaigilmore »

My son sat the 11+ in Bucks last year, and we went through SR (he scored 116). It was a stressful experience for him because we had moved from London in September, we had a death in the family earlier in '23, etc.

He did not pass the SR, and the motivation in the letter was:

A Headteacher's Selection Review Summary Sheet was not provided.
As no Headteacher's Summary sheet was provided, the Panel noted:
The panel did not receive academic evidence from the current primary school but did use the other academic information provided.
• A grammar school recommendation was not provided by the primary headteacher for [...]

Is this normal? I was told that the school sends out the reviews, and it didn't even cross my mind they can simply ignore this.
hermanmunster

Re: Selection Review - school did not send out summary sheet

Post by hermanmunster »

is your son at a Bucks Primary school?
lorelaigilmore

Post by lorelaigilmore »

Yes, but he only started in September last year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

that is tricky if he only started in September - did you have a chat with the head about the review and what was going on the form etc ?

Looking at the Bucks website it states that you have to ask for the summary form from the head and send it with your application.

https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/scho ... on-review/
When you send us the Headteacher's Selection Review Summary Sheet, as well as your evidence you can also include old school reports.

Do not include schoolwork as the Panel will not consider this.

Requesting a Selection Review
You can request a Selection Review as your child has not qualified for a grammar school. To complete this form you will need the following

Student ID number, you can find this on your child's results email
your child's school or Headteachers email address
By completing this request form your child's school will be sent a notification informing the school that you are considering a Selection Review and that you may request the Headteacher to complete a 'Selection Review Summary Sheet for Headteacher's' form for your child.
lorelaigilmore

Post by lorelaigilmore »

Thanks, @hermanmunster!
I tried to but was told by the liaison that there was no need to, as all my child's info was transferred from his previous school and that they'd submit the summary when prompted. Stupid of me, I know.
lorelaigilmore

Post by lorelaigilmore »

The problem is the website says that "If your child goes to a state funded Buckinghamshire primary or Partner school, the SRP will also have information from your child’s current headteacher. This will tell the panel if they believe your child would be suitable for a grammar school and their attitude to work (learning).

Headteachers give us this information before they know your child's results."

And that I have to ask for it only if the child goes to an out-of-county school. Since we moved in September 2023, I assumed he would be considered a Bucks student.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There are 2 separate bits of info :

1) the suitability score which is done for all children taking the test and passed to the LEA before the results come out

2) the review summary sheet which is done one request by the school and submitted by the parents - it is at this stage that parents can make a more informed decision about whether to go for review or delay and go for appeal.

We could do with someone who has appealed this year to clarify the process in case anything has changed

It sounds like you might need to chat to the school about what they actually sent ?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

I agree with the above: it’s the school you need to talk to.

If they knew you were selection reviewing (and you should have told them you were going to, though I appreciate you may not have realised that) then the head teacher has a standard form to fill in, which has a statement of their thoughts and a results matrix for years 3-5 and predictions for KS2 endpoint SATS.

When you gave in the selection review, you then fill in the parental statement and upload any supporting evidence you need (there’s lots of info about this in the Appeals section).

Did you really not realise the Head teacher hadn’t created a summary sheet? In previous years it was sent to BCC directly from school and parents were just sent a copy for reference, but I don’t know if that was the case this year (anyone on thread who’s done a SR this year?)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Aethel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:51 pm

Did you really not realise the Head teacher hadn’t created a summary sheet?
OP said that she was told by liaison that the summary would be submitted by them when prompted - trouble is if you are new to the area and system it can be difficult to know if this was correct and to challenge it
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Absolutely, I’m sorry this has happened to you OP. Coming straight into the system in Bucks is a change from the previous Lindon system and I can see that’s confusing.

This is very much a talk-to-school asap situation, I think.

And then read the Appeal boards and thread here, as if you wish to challenge the Selection review outcome school will
need to provide their justification for not proving that summary report (or rather, admission that they didn’t ) as you may need something in writing from them formally admitting that they have erred here.
Take stock, book a mock