We have been shortlisted for the National Tutoring Awards 2024! If Eleven Plus Exams has helped you, we would like to ask for your support, by voting for us in the People’s Choice Awards.

HBS ALLOCATIONS MARCH 2024

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rukarun

Re: HBS ALLOCATIONS MARCH 2024

Post by Rukarun »

scary mum wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:32 pm It's a long time until September. There's likely to be further movement. There may still be people sitting on both private & state places, or people have to unexpectedly move due to job or personal.changes etc
It won't be to large numbers of places, though.
Yeah i also think may be 2-3 more will move as all places are already accepted now...
friendz

Post by friendz »

scary mum wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:32 pm It's a long time until September. There's likely to be further movement. There may still be people sitting on both private & state places, or people have to unexpectedly move due to job or personal.changes etc
Do you see any difference compared to the last few years. Generally, all positions get accepted after 2nd or 3rd round of offers and then slowly move throughout the year. Just trying to understand the context of not moving large numbers in this year.
Rukarun

Post by Rukarun »

friendz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:53 pm
Do you see any difference compared to the last few years. Generally, all positions get accepted after 2nd or 3rd round of offers and then slowly move throughout the year. Just trying to understand the context of not moving large numbers in this year.
R u sure all places in previous years in round 2 allocation gets accepted...i mean not judging you by any chance just trying to get an idea whether the waitlist will move further or no chnace thsi year..
Aislam

Post by Aislam »

I'm pretty sure there will be further movements later of the month or next couple months. At least last 2 years movement pattern suggesting that, even if all 2nd round offers were rejected last 2 years it was impossible to reach the final number.
Rukarun

Post by Rukarun »

Aislam wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:21 pm I'm pretty sure there will be further movements later of the month or next couple months. At least last 2 years movement pattern suggesting that, even if all 2nd round offers were rejected last 2 years it was impossible to reach the final number.
Heard from a friend that when they spoke to admission team , she thinks this year there will not be much movement though the admission team still thinks there will be 3-4 seats that may come up before the term starts..but definitely as per rhe admission team there will not be much movement hiw it use to be in past years.
nyr

Post by nyr »

That does sound like an odd comment from the admissions team. In the year DD joined a few students were offered places in the first week of the academic year and, if memory serves me right, one after that. Someone had a scholarship place but was offered HBS in September, took up the place, was in school for a day or two and then went back to the independent. House prices were too high and the free state-school place didn't make a good trade-off, especially given the scholarship.

There is always a bit of a shake out of people holding two or more places, courtesy of the independent sector, as the child can only attend one school. And that's just September.
Aislam

Post by Aislam »

nyr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:52 pm That does sound like an odd comment from the admissions team. In the year DD joined a few students were offered places in the first week of the academic year and, if memory serves me right, one after that. Someone had a scholarship place but was offered HBS in September, took up the place, was in school for a day or two and then went back to the independent. House prices were too high and the free state-school place didn't make a good trade-off, especially given the scholarship.

There is always a bit of a shake out of people holding two or more places, courtesy of the independent sector, as the child can only attend one school. And that's just September.
You're very true ! I have been in touch with the admission office and they said there will be some movement by the end of the term once parents will be starting to visit independent schools. They never mentioned the number as of course they don't know how many. Given the data from previous years suggesting it would be way more than 3/4. As you said, maybe some parents will decide not to move and try and get places nearer grammar schools. I also know from parents last 2 years school offered places in September, at least 3/4. I have a feelings that next movement won't be happening before the end of June ?
friendz

Post by friendz »

Any latest news on the waiting list movement, anyone? Not sure if they will group the WL offers together in monthly frequency or update the site straightway?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If a place is turned down then the local authority of the student who is next on the waiting list will be contacted and they will send the offer out to the family of the student. Unfortunately a family chooses a private school then there is nothing to stop them hanging onto the HBS space as well as the private school offer until the start of term. Then HBS will start to chase when the student does not turn up on the first day of term. I know of a DC who actually attended two welcome to the school events, one at a private school and one at a state school and held onto both offers until the start of term when the state school contacted them about not turning up.

DG
friendz

Post by friendz »

Daogroupie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:38 pm If a place is turned down then the local authority of the student who is next on the waiting list will be contacted and they will send the offer out to the family of the student.

Unfortunately a family chooses a private school then there is nothing to stop them hanging onto the HBS space as well as the private school offer until the start of term.

Then HBS will start to chase when the student does not turn up on the first day of term.

I know of a student who actually attended two welcome to the school events, one at a private school and one at a state school and held onto both offers until the start of term when the state school contacted them about not turning up.

DG
Thanks, DG. I was thinking that LAs contact the school with rejection details and then the school informs the respective LA of the next waiting list student to send out the offer. But as you said, school doesn't inform LAs that means all LA has the information for each school's waiting list to act upon.