Paperwork for appeal - do I have enough evidence?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Take stock, book a mock
bournemouth2023

Paperwork for appeal - do I have enough evidence?

Post by bournemouth2023 »

I'm getting my paperwork together to submit for appeal at Bournemouth School due to my son falling ill during the morning of the exam, and was hoping that any experts could just check whether there is anything that I have missed out.

So far I have:

- cover letter explaining the circumstances
- hospital discharge letter
- letter from GP
- attendance report from current school (shows that my son was absent due to sickness the week following the exam)
- Year 5 school report showing my son was working at 'greater depth' at the end of Year 5
- Mock test results from the study centre that my son did a couple of mock exams with - the person who runs these tests used to be a headteacher at a local grammar school and her test scores are very accurate in comparison to the actual exam
- headteacher letter of recommendation from his current school

Is there anything that I should change?
Aethel

Re: Paperwork for appeal - do I have enough evidence?

Post by Aethel »

I’m not specifically aware of the Bournemouth School appeal requirements, but generally be aware that appeal panels find good mock results of very limited use: this is because there is the potential for them not to be under true exam conditions/another child to have sat them in lieu of the appelant/the cohort sitting the mocks not being representative of the actual test/the difficulty level of the mocks not being the same as the actual test. You can submit them but be aware it may not have much effect.

It’s good that your DS is at greater depth for all subjects: do you have any predictions from school about his KS2 predictions (I know if he’s at an Indie they may not do KS2 SATS, but they may have alternative scoring such as PIRA or PUMA assessments).

Hopefully the exenuating circumstances will help, presumably he became unwell during the exam itself, but not enough to tel the invigilators? (if he did, good, because it gives proof he was impaired on the day, conversely if he said nothing it can be harder to prove he was unwell. Generally the exam boards ask you not to attend if feeling significantly unwell before the exam starts)

Good luck
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looks to me like you have the necessary bits for non-qualification (and extenuating circumstances) - difficult to know how much weight they would apply to mocks - perhaps worth reading section B64 here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... lification so you are ready for any questions they may raise

Also bear in mind that there may be no places and you have to appeal against over-subscription - worth having a look at that section too and adding a bit about "why this school" etc

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... bed-school
bournemouth2023

Aethel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:29 pm I’m not specifically aware of the Bournemouth School appeal requirements, but generally be aware that appeal panels find good mock results of very limited use: this is because there is the potential for them not to be under true exam conditions/another child to have sat them in lieu of the appelant/the cohort sitting the mocks not being representative of the actual test/the difficulty level of the mocks not being the same as the actual test. You can submit them but be aware it may not have much effect.

It’s good that your DS is at greater depth for all subjects: do you have any predictions from school about his KS2 predictions (I know if he’s at an Indie they may not do KS2 SATS, but they may have alternative scoring such as PIRA or PUMA assessments).

Hopefully the exenuating circumstances will help, presumably he became unwell during the exam itself, but not enough to tel the invigilators? (if he did, good, because it gives proof he was impaired on the day, conversely if he said nothing it can be harder to prove he was unwell. Generally the exam boards ask you not to attend if feeling significantly unwell before the exam starts)

Good luck
He doesn't have his KS2 SAT's results yet - although they may be available by the time the appeal is heard depending on when that is. However, in the letter from the headteacher the head has stated at my son is already working at greater depth standard in his mock tests etc.

Yes he became well during the exam morning itself, when I dropped him off he felt a bit 'weird' but we put it down to nerves. He didn't say anything to the staff during the morning and just tried to get through as best as he could rather than create any inconvenience. I can prove he was genuinely unwell as have the proof of his hospital visit and subsequent admission later that same day.
bournemouth2023

hermanmunster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:29 pm Looks to me like you have the necessary bits for non-qualification (and extenuating circumstances) - difficult to know how much weight they would apply to mocks - perhaps worth reading section B64 here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... lification so you are ready for any questions they may raise

Also bear in mind that there may be no places and you have to appeal against over-subscription - worth having a look at that section too and adding a bit about "why this school" etc

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... bed-school

This is the part that I feel I need to focus on now - but how? According to the information from the school, due to an admin error the school accidentally allocated 16 extra pupils spaces this year and it was felt that since it was their error that the school would have to make space for them. I don't know whether this will work in my favour or not.....on one hand I could argue that since they are allowing 16 extra spaces then why shouldn't one more be provided, but then it could also mean that due to the increase in places this year that there is simply no room for any extra.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

From what I can tell , oversubscription is not so much about “go on you can squeeze one more in “ (because every parent could try arguing that)

It’s more showing why that particular school is extra suited to your child and so having to go elsewhere will prejudice against them. So if your DS is a music whizz and the school has a great orchestra/choir whereas the allocated school has no music, he could be a benefit to the school. If he has a niche requirement the school particularly accommodates, and another may not, mention that. If he would hugely henefit from the particular pastoral setup (eg there is a friendship club/anxiety support buddy system), mention that.

ultimately the admin error will make it harder, unforunately, as they really are overfull, but it isn’t your fault that happened!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Whether or not the pupil would be of benefit to the school bears no relevance to the question of whether the prejudice to the pupils of their appeal not being upheld outweighs the prejudice to the school of being told that they must be admitted, when the presenting officer has already successfully made the school's case to the independent appeal panel that admitting any further pupils would cause prejudice.

It's back to argument about letters of support needing to say why the child needs the particular school (and, for a grammar school, include the evidence as to why the referee believes s/he is of the required academic standard), not 'What a lovely helpful child young X is, s/he would be a credit to your school' - because the obvious response to that is, 'As they would be to whichever school they attend... '
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

ToadMum wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:08 pm Whether or not the pupil would be of benefit to the school bears no relevance to the question of whether the prejudice to the pupils of their appeal not being upheld outweighs the prejudice to the school of being told that they must be admitted, when the presenting officer has already successfully made the school's case to the independent appeal panel that admitting any further pupils would cause prejudice.

It's back to argument about letters of support needing to say why the child needs the particular school (and, for a grammar school, include the evidence as to why the referee believes s/he is of the required academic standard), not 'What a lovely helpful child young X is, s/he would be a credit to your school' - because the obvious response to that is, 'As they would be to whichever school they attend... '
so what sort of things are convincing “needs”? I would have thought abilities that match the schools provision and support services provided by that school would count as a need. If they don’t Toadmum, what sort of things do “count”?

I take your point that “x is lovely and would thrive here” is too generic to be convincing.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Aethel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:27 pm so what sort of things are convincing “needs”? I would have thought abilities that match the schools provision and support services provided by that school would count as a need. If they don’t Toadmum, what sort of things do “count”?
I take your point that “x is lovely and would thrive here” is too generic to be convincing.
It is about how the school meets DC's needs that no other school can - nothing to do with what the child bring that might be of benefit to the school. Grammar schools can ONLY select via their published admissions procedure - it may well be that they would love to have a DC for a variety of reasons - but they do not have that choice.
mad?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Yes Mad, so please explain, what sorts of things qualify as a “need” in your experience?