Boys and writing

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bcookerblum

Re: Boys and writing

Post by bcookerblum »

If you're still looking for something in November, give nanowrimo a try. My two boys- 8 and 11 and VERY reluctant writers- did this last year and had a great time doing it. No prizes but a challenge to themselves and the freedom to write without a story plan and a dilemma...etc which they hadn't realised they could do before!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

bcookerblum wrote:If you're still looking for something in November, give nanowrimo a try. My two boys- 8 and 11 and VERY reluctant writers- did this last year and had a great time doing it. No prizes but a challenge to themselves and the freedom to write without a story plan and a dilemma...etc which they hadn't realised they could do before!
Ooh - I've done that myself! Never thought about getting the kids to do it though.
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

They have a separate children's site where they can set their own targets, get tips...etc. Youngest son had set his woefully low to start with but had drastically upped it within days. He really surprised me, I think he surprised himself too!
push-pull-mum wrote: Ooh - I've done that myself! Never thought about getting the kids to do it though.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

corr! That looks fantastic. Have saved it to favourites. Am going to look at the website in more detail. Might have a look myself at the adult version. Might be more fun if we 'do' it together? Has anyone done that?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

No, it was enough that I had to decipher and type their efforts onto the pc every day for a more accurate word count!! It's a good idea though. I'm sure my boys enthusiasm was helped along quite a bit by the youngest wanting to compete/ impress his older brother as well as the satisfaction of reaching/ beating what seemed to be masssive( to them) targets.

fatbananas wrote:corr! That looks fantastic. Have saved it to favourites. Am going to look at the website in more detail. Might have a look myself at the adult version. Might be more fun if we 'do' it together? Has anyone done that?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Hmmm, yes, I see your point! Perhaps I'll see how I feel as the long cold winter nights draw in! DS's brother is much younger, so no good on the (realistically :lol: ) competitive front. Might see if a friend of his would be up for doing it or something.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.